League Report: Bohemians 1 - 1 Derry City

Sat, Mar 09 2019

James Finnerty (left) equalised for Bohs after Eoghan Stokes had returned to haunt his former club with a penalty. Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley reports from Dalymount Park

Derry City are now unbeaten in their last seven visits to Dalymount Park after playing out a 1-1 draw tonight in Phibsborough.

Their previous six visits to the home of Irish football had brought wins but tonight Declan Devine’s men would take only a share of the spoils.

Eoghan Stokes gave Derry the lead from the spot before James Finnerty poked home to maintain Bohs’ unbeaten start to the season.

Keith Ward had the first real chance of the game with a close-range free kick after Ciaran Coll fouled Luke Wade-Slater.

Ward’s curling effort from twenty yards appeared to be destined for the top left corner of the net only for Peter Cherrie to pull off a wonder save.

There hit a relative lull after a lively opening period as neither side threatened the opposition goal.

Bohs had the best opportunity of the opening period on the half-hour Keith Ward’s cross was headed across goal by Conor Levingston but Wade-Slater in full extension could not get the vital touch to send the ball into the net.

In truth, the remainder of the half petered out without incident as both sides trudged in at the break with the game scoreless.

The second half was in its infancy when a clumsy tackle by Derek Pender on Eoghan Stokes in the area left match referee Tomás Connolly with no option but to award a penalty.

Former Bohs attacker Stokes stepped up to take the kick in front of the away support in the Des Kelly Stand, sending Talbot the wrong way, firing the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

That goal was the first the home team had conceded in 412 minutes of league football this season.

Midway through the half, the home team had a glorious chance to draw level but once again, Cherrie was there to make another world class stop.

Robbie McCourt’s shot from range was deflected into the path of Ali Reghba but he could only watch in anguish as his effort was pushed clear.

Ten minutes later, after a period of sustained pressure, James Finnerty drew the hosts level.

Darragh Leahy’s ball trickled through into the path of Finnerty who tapped the ball into the net.

Eoghan Stokes had a long-range effort tail to the left and wide after some early promise as the game ticked into the final minutes.

The drama wouldn’t end there as Daniel Grant saw the ball fall to his feet in the six-yard box only for Cherrie to save with his feet.

Bohs were hitting a purple patch as the clock hit ninety and the home crowd thought they’d taken the lead as Rob Cornwall’s header tailed wide, the angle in the Jodi Stand proving quite deceiving.

Derry would withstand a Bohemian barrage in the four minutes of added time as both teams took a share of the spoils.

Bohemians: James Talbot; Derek Pender, Rob Cornwall, James Finnerty, Darragh Leahy; Scott Allardice (Robbie McCourt 57), Danny Mandroiu, Conor Levingston; Keith Ward, Luke Wade-Slater (Daniel Grant 62); Ali Reghba (Sam Byrne 75).

Subs not used: Niall Corbet, Aaron Barry, Andy Lyons, Paddy Kirk.

Booked: Derek Pender (44), James Finnerty (79)

Derry City: Peter Cherrie; Conor McDermott, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Darren Cole, Ciaron Harkin, Gerardo Bruna (Barry McNamee 79); Eoghan Stokes (Gianni Seraf 87), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe, Aidy Delap (Josh Kerr 92).

Subs not used: Nathan Gartside, Evan Tweed, Shane McNamee, Ronan McKinley.

Booked: Ciaron Coll (7), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe (57), Eoghan Stokes (84),

Referee: Tomás Connolly.

Attendance: 2,940 (official).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Peter Cherrie (Derry City).