League Report: Bohemians 2 - 2 Drogheda United

Sat, Mar 15 2014

Drogheda celebrate Gary O'Neill's goal Credit: Eddie Lennon

Bohemians and Drogheda United shared the spoils after an entertaining two all draw in Dalymount Park on Friday night in the Airtricity Premier Division.


Bohemians striker Dinny Corcoran starred for the gypsies with two goals for his side in the opening half hour to send the home fans into raptures. 


The first goal though was all about the delivery as centre midfielder Craig Walsh set up his compatriot with a sublime pass. 


Taking the ball down on the left Walsh beat two men and managed to isolate the entire Drogheda defence with a pass from the outside of his right foot, to leave Corcoran bearing down on goal before cooly slotting home past helpless goalkeeper, Dave Ryan. 


To Drogheda's credit they stuck to their very rigid task of not allowing the home team to gain any sort of momentum early on. The home side's strike force were a constant threat, however, and it was their link up play which won them a penalty moments before the half hour mark. 


A lively run from Paddy Kavanagh presented an opportunity to lay a pass on a plate for Corcoran who, when he received the pass, was clattered from behind by Drogheda's Ciaran McGuigan. The electric pair linked up wonderfully all night and caused chaos for Robbie Horgan's men. 


The penalty, calmly slotted home by Corcoran, seemed to wrap it up for Bohemians but Drogheda refused to let it go. Horgan's men pushed on and looked for opportunities, albeit limited, to exploit the Bohemians defence. 


In the 35th minute a mix up between the Bohemians defence and their keeper saw Gary O'Neill nick the ball off them and slide it past Dean Delany from the slightest of angles. 


The half time break came as a respite to the initially dominant Bohemians defence when, on the cusp of half time, a wonderful free kick from Eric Foley saw Bohemians thanking their lucky stars. 


Gary O'Neill celebrates his second goal of the night - Photo: Larry McQuillan


After the break Robbie Horgan would have been pleased with his side’s reaction with Cathal Brady almost drawing his side level straight off the bat. 


A lightening quick run down the right wing found him in a great position but a skewed cross left his side with nothing. The travelling support were in full voice as Horgan's men looked to get back into the game. 


Owen Heary, Bohemians’ manager, would have been concerned with his side's slump after dominating the opening exchanges. The free flowing football that Heary has instilled in Bohemians was on full show with Steven Beattie and Dinny Corcoran at the heart of everything good for the home side. 


But it was Drogheda United who had the last say in this game when an 89th minute corner kick found O'Neill at the back post with all the time in the world to edge home the equaliser which saw the sides share the spoils and ultimately share the lead at the top of the table.


Bohemians: Dean Dean Delaney; Derek Pender (c), Roberto Lopes, Aidan Price, Jack Memery; Paddy Kavanagh (Stephen Traynor 67), Ryan McEvoy, Craig Walsh, Kevin Devaney, Steven Beattie, Dinny Corcoran (Jason Byrne 77). 
Subs Not Used: Keith Buckley, Dan Byrne, Darragh Reynor, Philly McCabe, Lee Murphy.

Booked: P Kavanagh (12). 



Drogheda United: Dave Ryan; Michael Daly (c), Paul Andrews, Alan McNally, Shane Grimes; Cathal Brady, Ciaran McGuigan, Daire Doyle (Stephen Maher 68), Eric Foley (Gavan Holohan 68); Carl Walshe (Declan O'Brien 77), Gary O'Neill.
Subs Not Used: Paul Crowley, Austin McCann, Ciaran O'Connor, Dylan Connolly.

Booked: Grimes (33), McNally (54), Maher (80).



Referee: David McKeon

Attendance: 1,657

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Gary O'Neill (Drogheda United)