League Report: Bohemians 0 - 1 St Patrick's Athletic

Fri, Mar 09 2018

Dean Clarke scored the games only goal. Credit: Martin Doherty

Dave Donnelly reports from Dalymount Park

Dean Clarke's early strike was enough to see St Patrick’s Athletic overcome Bohemians at Dalymount Park in a game played in artic conditions on Friday evening.

Keith Ward had already missed an early penalty for the Gypsies before a mixture of skill and dogged persistence from Simon Madden presented Clarke with the easiest of finishes.

Bohs had their first sight of goal with mere seconds on the clock as a mishit clearance fell to Keith Buckley, but the midfielder couldn't free his feet to get a shot away.

With just six minutes elapsed, Keith Ward had a chance to put the home side a goal to the good from the penalty spot after Oscar Brennan was fouled in the area.

The playmaker's effort from 12 yards was poor, however, Ward's weak shot just about being Barry Murphy but bouncing back off the post into Murphy's arms.

Pats were seeing little of the ball in general play but they made more of what they did have, Simon Madden and Conan Byrne in particular linking up time and again on the right flan.

It was from the right that their first chance came, Byrne's low cross finding Clarke rushing in from the opposite wing, but the winger failed to get hold of his shot with just the keeper to beat.

He was to be celebrating just two minutes later, however, as he benefitted from the persistence of Simon Madden, who nudged a cross under keeper Shane Supple to set him up for a tap-in.

Jamie Lennon had started the move in his own half, sending a ball over the top for Byrne to pick out Madden, who set up Ryan Brennan before picking out Clarke at the second attempt.

Madden was the creator again shortly afterwards as he took his man on in the box and cut the ball inside for Byrne, but after miskicking his first shot the winger stabbed over.

Bohs had their first effort from open play with five minutes remaining in the first half, and Dinny Corcoran should have levelled with a free header but his weak effort was saved by Barry Murphy.

A poor clearance from Kevin Toner presented Eoghan Stokes with a chance moments later, but the ex-Aston Villa defender made amends by throwing himself in front of the driven effort.

Lennon stung Supple's palms with an effort from 25 yards early in the second half and a mazy run from Stokes brought the first save of the half from Murphy, before Ward fired over from distance.

Pats sought to put the game to bed in the final quarter, and Toner came close from Owen Garvan's corner only to see his powerful header hooked off the line by substitute Paddy Kavanagh.

Moments later, replacement Darragh Markey thought he'd put the tie to bed as he met Byrne's cross with a glancing header into the bottom corner, but Supple pulled off a great stop at full-stretch.

Bohs offered little in attack in the closing stages as the Saints comfortably held out to move above their Dublin neighbours into sixth.


Bohemians: Shane Supple; Derek Pender, Dan Casey, Rob Cornwall, Darragh Leahy; Ryan Brennan, Keith Buckley, Keith Ward (Dylan Watts 71), Kevin Devaney (Paddy Kavanagh 62), Eoghan Stokes; Dinny Corcoran (Rob Manley 61).

Subs not used: Colin McCabe (gk), Daniel Byrne, Ian Morris, Karl Moore.

Booked: Kevin Devaney (42), Rob Cornwall (71).


St Patrick's Athletic: Barry Murphy; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Owen Garvan, Jamie Lennon (Darragh Markey 52), Ryan Brennan, Conan Byrne, Dean Clarke (Ian Turner 73); Christy Fagan (Jake Keegan 76).

Subs not used: Brian Maher (gk), Michael Barker, Graham Kelly, James Doona.

Booked: Kevin Toner (38).


Referee: Rob Hennessy.

Attendance: 2,814

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Simon Madden (St Patrick's Athletic).