FAI Cup R3
Date: 6 p.m. Aug. 20, 2016
Venue: Turners Cross

Patrick O'Brien 41' -
Scored: 41'

Scored: 9'
- Connor Ellis 9'

Scored: 15'
- Shane O'Connor 15'

Scored: 26'
- Shane O'Connor 26'

Scored: 69'
- Robert Lehane 69'

FAI Cup Report: Ringmahon Rangers 1 - 4 Cobh Ramblers

Sun, Aug 21 2016

Stephen Henderson's side were 4-1 victors in Turner's Cross Credit: Steve Alfred

In a dreary Turner’s Cross on Saturday evening, Cobh Ramblers defeated Munster League side Ringmahon Rangers by four goals to one to progress to the next round of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup. An early goal from Conor Ellis and a first half brace by Shane O’Connor was countered with a 41st minute Patrick O’Brien goal before Rob Lehane put the tie beyond any doubt in the 69th minute.


Cobh Ramblers came into the game heading into the final round of league fixtures; resting in 4th in the table and chasing the promotion dream, while Ringmahon were awaiting the 2016/17 season. 


The first chance of the game fell to the Munster Senior League side from a free-kick. Former Cork City FC left back Jason Forde whipped in a ball only for Alan Higgins to put his effort wide. Ringmahon continued to press, with Patrick O Brien firing a shot into the Ramblers keeper Paul Hunt’s hands.


The League of Ireland side hit back and, with only five minutes gone on the clock, they took the lead. A left footed shot from Cork City FC loanee Conor Ellis crawled passed Eoghan Daly in the Ringmahon goal.


The lead was extended ten minutes later as a through ball by Ellis was met by captain Shane O’Connor who hammered the ball home. With only 26 minutes gone, O’Connor doubled his goal tally and put Cobh into a commanding 3-0 lead. A Cian Kingston ball found O’Connor yet again who buried a left footed volley into the Shed End goal.


Ramblers’ experience was clear to see in a dominant first half display which seen Stephen Henderson’s charges muster seven shots, five on target.


Against the run of play, Ringmahon finished the half with a flourish when Dean Swords pierced the Rambler’s defence with a fine through ball to Anthony O Donnell who chipped the ball passed Paul Hunt to pull a goal back.


Ringmahon began the half with two substitutions, with Johnny Delany and Anthony Kidney being replaced by Ciaran Kearney and Raymond Delaney. Before Delaney had time to even muster up a sweat, the forward caught a ball down at the edge of the box and had his attempt narrowly saved by Hunt.


Soon afterwards, Cobh had a chance of their own when Conor Ellis got onto the end of a long ball and rounded Ringmahon keeper Eoghan Daly only for Noah Cisse to clear his ball off the line.


Shane O’Connor soon knitted a fantastic move together for Cobh when he threaded a ball through for Rob Lehane who hit the ball low and under keeper Daly’s legs restoring the visitors three goal lead.


Lehane had another chance moments later but his shot from the edge of the box was blocked by Alan Higgins.


Ringmahon’s Robert Coughlan was unlucky to see his effort run only inches wide of the Ramblers goal. Rangers pressed but the game ended 4-1 and it is the League of Ireland side whose name will go into the pot for the next round of the cup.


Ringmahon Rangers: E. Daly, N. Cissie, J. Forde, A. Kidney (Kearney), A. Higgins, P. Deasy, P. O’Brien, R. Kenny, D. Swords, J. Delaney (R. Delaney) (O Regan), R. Coughlan.


Cobh Ramblers: P. Hunt, G. Comerford, B. O Riordan, C. McCarthy, A. O Donnell (Scott McCarthy), S. O Connor, C. Ellis (J. Creamer), R. Lehane, I. Mylod, K. Mulcahy, C. Kingston. 

Ringmahon Rangers

Cobh Ramblers
Paul Hunt
Anthony O'Donnell
Kevin Mulcahy
Cian Kingston
Ben O'Riordan
Shane O'Connor
15Scored: 15'
26Scored: 26'
Ian Mylod
Chris McCarthy
Garry Comerford
Robert Lehane
69Scored: 69'
Connor Ellis
9Scored: 9'

Eoin McGreevy
Scott McCarthy
Jonathan Creamer
Stephen Christopher

Photo Gallery for Ringmahon Rangers -v- Cobh Ramblers