League Report: Galway United 2 - 3 Shelbourne

Fri, Feb 22 2019

Ciaran Kilduff landed a late brace to help Shels to a 3-2 win over Galway Credit: Paul Dolan (ETPhotos)

It was a barnstormer in Galway on Friday night as Galway United were defeated 2-3 by Shelbourne at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Colin Kelly and Vinny Faherty opened the scoring for Galway but Shelbourne clawed their way to victory in the second half with a brace from Ciaran Kilduff and one more from Karl Moore to seal the victory.

A wonder goal kicked off Friday night’s encounter as Colin Kelly struck a beautiful shot after five minutes for his first senior goal.

The 17 year-old was gifted the chance after a poor clearance from Shelbourne goalkeeper Dean Delaney and the youngster confidently lobbed the ball over the ‘keepers head from the left wing and from distance to put the home side ahead.

It was a lively opening for the home side and just ten minutes later the home fans must have been delirious after Conor Barry played an accurate ball over the top of the defence, finding Vinny Faherty at the edge of the box.

Delaney, again, was caught off his line and the experienced striker took aim and deftly shot the ball over the goalkeeper’s head to score on his first game back at the club.

Shelbourne had their chances and they nearly rattled the Galway net with a diving header from a corner. Derek Prendergast bravely dived in and only just nodded the ball over the bar of Kevin Horgan’s goal.

John Ross Wilson had a pop late in the first half after the United defence failed to close down the Shels player, giving him a free run at goal but the defender booted his effort into the car park.

Without really putting on any pressure in the second half Shels managed to get a lifeline when substitute Karl Moore played a high ball into the box and Ciaran Kilduff smashed it into passed Kevin Horgan and into the back of the net.

Karl Moore furthered his impact on the game when he was left unmarked in the Galway box. Conan Byrne spotted the midfielder from deep and played a long ball forward and Moore simply headed into the corner of Kevin Horgan’s net.

Shelbourne capitalised fully when just a minute later Kilduff secured his brace. A tidy through ball unlocked the Galway defence and the striker had an easy tap in for his second goal of the game securing the three points for Ian Morris’s side.


Galway United: Kevin Horgan; Christopher Horgan, Marc Ludden, Stephen Walsh, Maurice Nugent (Conor Melody, 67); Adam Rooney, Conor Barry, Wilson Waweru (Shane Doherty, 69), Mark Hannon; Vinny Faherty, Colin Kelly (Matthew Barrett, 84).

Subs not Used: James Tierney, Cian Murphy, Joe Collins, Dara Costelloe.

Booked: None.


Shelbourne: Dean Delaney; John Ross Wilson, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Luke Byrne, Derek Prendergast, Oscar Brennan, Dayle Rooney (Karl Moore, 69), Shane Farrell (Conan Byrne, 45), Ryan Brennan; Ciaran Kilduff, Alex O’Hanon (Sean Quinn, 51).

Subs not Used: Colin McCabe, Aiden Friel, Daniel McKenna, Flavio Marku.

Booked: Lorcan Fitzgerald (87).


Referee: Eoghan O’Shea

Attendance: 2,174

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Ciaran Kilduff (Shelbourne)