Had Boots Did Travel - The Irish Abroad (January 14, 2019)

Tue, Jan 15 2019

Shane Long scored his first league goal in nine months for Southampton. Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick (ETPhotos)

Shane Long’s first league goal in nine months and a first-ever senior goal for Declan Rice were the main talking points from an Irish abroad perspective this weekend.

A total of 74 Republic of Ireland nationals represented clubs in the four top tiers of English men’s football and the Women’s Super League, scoring eight goals.

There were nine in the Premier League (three goals), five in the Women’s Super League (no goals), 18 in the Championship (one goal), 17 in League One (two) and 25 in League Two (two).

25 of those came through the League of Ireland, three in the Premier League, six each in the Championship and League One and ten in League Two.

Two of the five came through the Women’s National League, however the league has only been in operation since 2011.

Premier League

Shane Long won a penalty before scoring his first league goal in nine months as ten-man Southampton got the better of Leicester City at the King Power Stadium.

Also on the scoresheet was Ciaran Clark, who headed a first-half equaliser, his third goal of the season, but couldn’t help Newcastle United from falling to a 2-1 defeat at home to Chelsea.

Declan Rice scored his first goal in senior football, and the only goal of the game, as West Ham United overcame Arsenal at the Olympic Stadium.

Jeff Henrick saw two of his shots deflected in by defenders as Burnley beat Fulham, for whom Cyrus Christie was booked, 2-1 at Turf Moor, their third league win in a row.

A return to the starting line-up for Seamus Coleman and a clean sheet as Everton beat Bournemouth 2-0 at Goodison Park.

Shane Duffy played 90 minutes as Brighton & Hove Albion were edged out by a single goal at home to Liverpool.

Harry Arter played the full game for Cardiff City as they were held to a scoreless draw by fellow relegation strugglers Huddersfield Town.

And Matt Doherty was powerless to stop ten-man Wolverhampton Wanderers from suffering a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester City.

Women’s Super League

Louise Quinn and Katie McCabe both played 90 minutes as Arsenal saw their title challenge falter with a 2-1 defeat at home to Chelsea.

Ireland number one Marie Hourihan kept a clean sheet as Brighton & Hove Albion were held to a scoreless draw at home to Everton.

Full back Harriet Scott played 87 minutes of Birmingham City’s 1-0 defeat at home to Bristol City.

Niamh Fahey was a late sub as Liverpool edged out basement side Yeovil Town 2-1.


David McGoldrick started and scored the only goal of the game, while John Egan and Enda Stevens also started, as Sheffield United overcame Queens Park Rangers to go second.

Darragh Lenihan was man of the match for Blackburn Rovers in their 2-0 away win over Millwall, for whom Aiden O’Brien started and Shaun Williams was a late introduction.

Richard Keogh captained Derby County and played all 90 minutes as they were beaten 2-0 by Leeds United at Elland Road.

Anthony Pilkington made his Wigan Athletic debut as the Latics ran out 3-0 winners over Aston Villa, for whom Conor Hourihane played 90 minutes and Glenn Whelan was a second-half substitute.

Darren Randolph started in goal as Middlesbrough ran out 2-1 winners against Birmingham City at St Andrew’s.

Chiedozie Ogbene and James McClean were second-half subs for Brentford and Stoke City respectively as the Bees came out 3-1 winners at home.

Callum O’Dowda played 90 minutes as Bristol City came from behind to beat cash-strapped Bolton Wanderers 2-1 at Ashton Gate.

There was little joy for Keiren Westwood on his return to the Sheffield Wednesday side as the Owls were beaten 3-0 by Hull City.

Anthony Forde played 70 minutes of Rotherham United’s 1-0 defeat to Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

Alan Browne started and Sean Maguire was a second-half substitute for Preston North End as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Swansea City.

League One

A 15th goal of the season for former Bohemians striker Paddy Madden wasn’t enough to help Fleetwood Town to victory as they were held 2-2 at home to Oxford United.

James Collins netted his 11th goal of the season for Luton Town as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Sunderland, who had Aiden McGeady in the starting eleven.

Goalkeeper Jack Bonham played all 90 minutes and kept a clean sheet for Bristol Rovers as they held Accrington Stanley to a scoreless draw.

Ian Lawlor played 90 minutes in goal for Doncaster Rovers as they were edged out 3-2 away to Wycombe Wanderers.

Another former Bohs man, Graham Carey, started alongside Niall Canavan as Plymouth Argyle won 3-2 at Southend United, who had Simon Cox in their eleven.

Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor and Eoin Doyle all started as Bradford City fell to a heavy 3-0 defeat at the hands of Barnsley.

Callum Reilly scored a penalty, while Mark Byrne and Bradley Garmston also started, as Gillingham were 3-2 winners away to Burton Albion.

Joe Rafferty and Ryan Delaney started Rochdale’s 2-1 defeat away to Peterborough United, with Delaney being substituted at half time.

Former Derry City striker Ronan Curtis played all 90 minutes but couldn’t find the scoresheet as Portsmouth were beaten 1-0 at home by Blackpool.

League Two

Jay O’Shea’s 11th goal of the season helped Bury to a 4-3 victory over MK Dons, a game in which Joe Murphy started and Eoghan O’Connell was a late sub for the home side.

A second goal in as many games for Padraig Amond, following his FA Cup winner over Leicester City, wasn’t enough to save Newport County, who brought on Mark O’Brien late on, from a 3-2 defeat to Crewe Alexandra.

Pierce Sweeney and Dara O’Shea both played the full game in defence as Exeter City were held to a 0-0 draw by Morecambe.

Goalkeepers Kieran O’Hara and James McKeown started for Macclesfield Town and Grimsby Town, while Fiacre Kelleher started for Macclesfield, as Sol Campbell’s were 2-0 winners.

Rene Gilmartin kept a clean sheet for Colchester United as they won 3-0 at Port Vale to move up into fourth place.

Ryan Sweeney played 90 minutes for Mansfield Town as they fell to a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Yeovil Town.

Sam Foley started as Northampton Town ended Anthony Gerrard and Jamie Devitt’s Carlisle United’s six-game winning run with a 3-0 win.

David Forde, Jake Carroll and Gary Deegan started, and Emmanuel Osadebe was a second-half sub, as Cambridge United picked up a much-needed 1-0 win at bottom-placed Notts County.

Gavin Gunning played the 90 minutes in defence as Forest Green Rovers held to a scoreless draw at Oldham Athletic, dropping down to seventh in the table.

Michael Timlin played 90 minutes as Stevenage were 2-1 winners at home to Crawley Town, for whom Mark Connolly started and Reece Grego-Cox was a second-half sub.

Canice Carroll started for Swindon Town and Lee Frecklington captained league leaders Lincoln City as the sides played out a 2-2 draw.

Rest of the World

Andy Keogh scored the third of Perth Glory’s goals in a 4-3 win over West Sydney Wanderers, while he was a second-half substitute as they beat Sydney 3-1.

Cillian Sheridan was a second-half sub on both occasions as Wellington Phoenix recorded 3-2 wins over Western Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners.

And Roy O’Donovan played 90 minutes as Newcastle Jets were edged out 2-1 away to Melbourne Victory.