FAI Cup Report: Galway United 0 - 2 Bohemians

Fri, Aug 24 2018

Eoghan Stokes Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)

Pete Kelly reports from Eamonn Deacy Park

Bohemians proved too strong for a much improved Galway United at Eamonn Deacy Park in the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup in front of 733 spectators, a third of whom were visiting supporters, on Friday night.

Galway’s worst nightmare came to pass when they conceded an early goal to Bohemians. Just six minutes in Darragh Leahy’s strike was very fortunate when his cross drifted over Tadhg Ryan in the Galway goal and into the top corner. 

The visitors would go on to totally dominate possession in the opening half and only some resolute defending kept the score at the minimum.  On 20 minutes there was total mayhem in the Galway penalty area as Bohs had several efforts blocked with last ditch tackles as the home side rode their luck.

Galway manager Alan Murphy moved Robbie Williams into a holding midfield role soon after and this change seemed to steady the ship a bit although the lion’s share of possession remained with the Dublin outfit. 

Galway got to half time, with precious little ball and almost no chances, while Bohs looked a slick and well organised team.

Conor Melody was introduced at half time for Sean Russell and Galway definitely came more into the game – however that improvement looked dead and gone on 49 mins when Bohs were awarded a penalty and a yellow card shown to Williams. However JJ Lunney hit his effort more or less straight at Tadhg Ryan.

Eight minutes later Ryan was in action again as he tipped Keith Buckley’s effort onto the bar and as Galway crept into the game there was some hope for the home side. Conor Barry, Galway’s best player on the night, was showing some nice touches as well as a high work rate.

Eoin McCormack had Galway’s best chance on 69 minutes but his header was cleared off the line as for once he managed to beat Shane Supple.

The game was settled in somewhat controversial circumstances on 77 minutes when Marc Ludden was adjudged to have fouled and picked up a yellow card – it seemed a very soft award. However substitute Eoghan Stokes took full advantage as he clipped the free to the back of the net.

The game was then effectively over but McCormack did have one more chance – blocked, as Galway refused to give up.

Bohemians march on – they looked like a well organised outfit, with no little skill and ability. For Galway the consolation was some restored pride.

Galway United: Tadhg Ryan, Chris Horgan, Evan Murphy, (Aaron Conway 89) Stephen Walsh Robbie Williams (Wilson Waweru 85), Marc Ludden, Sean Russell, (Conor Melody h/t) Ryan Connolly, Conor Barry, Carlton Ubaezuonu, Eoin McCormack.

Subs Not Used: Connor Gleeson, Alex Byrne, Dara Mulgannon, Evan Coyne

Bohemians: Shane Supple, Derek Pender, Dan Casey, Ian Morris, Darragh Leahy, Kevin Devaney, Keith Buckley, JJ Lunney, Daniel Kelly (Daniel Grant 61) Dinny Corcoran (Ryan Masterson 85) Keith Ward (Eoghan Stokes 71)

Subs Not Used: Sean Bohan, Rob Cornwall, Oscar Brennan, Patrick Kirk

Referee: Robert Hennessey

Attendance: 733

Extratime man of the Match: Darragh Leahy (Bohemians)