League Report: UCD 4 - 1 Cabinteely

Fri, Jul 08 2016

Kieran Marty Waters was on target for the second time in two games against Cabinteely. Credit: Martin Doherty

UCD returned to winning ways on Friday night when Collie O’Neill’s side put four past Cabinteely at the UCD Bowl to return to second position in the First Division table. 
First-half goals from Gary O’Neill and Dan Tobin along with second-half strikes from Greg Sloggett and Kieran Marty Waters were enough to give the Students a comfortable 4-1 victory.
The visitors entered the game on the back of an impressive 5-1 win against Athlone and it was them who had the game’s first chance in the fourth minute when Mark Slater curled an effort wide from 25 yards. 
UCD broke the deadlock in the tenth minute when set-piece specialist O’Neill’s free-kick appeared to miss everybody before landing in the corner of the net.
Despite chances being limited after the Students took the lead, Cabinteely had a great chance of their own in the 27th minute. Oliver Hamzat was allowed to waltz through the UCD defence, but the forward’s strike was easily gathered by Niall Corbet. Moments later Aaron Brilly had a strike from distance which failed to trouble Corbert’s goal. 
On the half hour mark, Cabo had another great chance when Oscar Brennan’s shot was deflected behind for a corner. From the delivery, Christian Lotefa headed wide from close range. 
As half-time fast approached, UCD doubled their advantage when Brady popped up on the left wing before the winger curled home a sublime effort from the edge of the box. 
UCD tripled their advantage five minute after the break when Sloggett volleyed home from the edge of the box after a lovely ball from Kieran Marty Waters. 
If UCD were ever vulnerable it was after scoring and less than sixty seconds after their third goal, Cabinteely hit back when the unmarked Ben Hanrahan headed home from 10 yards, his glancing header sailing past Corbet and into the top corner. 
UCD restored their three goal advantage six minute later when Marty Waters got himself on the scoresheet after his low strike from 25 yards sailed into the bottom corner despite the best efforts of Michael Kelly in the visiting goal. 
As Cabinteely went in search of goals that would get them back into the game, Eddie Gormley’s side found their chances limited with Lotefa having the pick of their efforts in the 68th minute – he rose highest from a corner, but could only head over the crossbar from four yards. 
The win for UCD sees them overtake Drogheda United in second place while the defeat sees Cabinteely drop to the bottom of First Division thanks to Athlone’s 1-0 win at home to Shelbourne. 
UCD AFC: Niall Corbet; Adam Harney, Maxi Kouogun, Liam Scales, Sean Coyne; Cathal Brady, Gary O’Neill, Daire O’Connor (Simon Power 77), Greg Sloggett, Kiernan Marty Waters (Jason Byrne 79); Ryan Swan (Georgie Kelly 64). 
Subs Not Used: Conor O’Donnell, Dan Tobin, Jack Watson, Jason McClelland.
Booked: None. 
Cabinteely FC: Michael Kelly; Karl Byrne, Oscar Brennan, Lee Mitchell. Kevin Knight; Mark Slater (Andrew McGovern 53), Shane Boyle, Aaron Brilly, Oliver Hamzat (Ben Hanrahan 39), Evan Galvin; Christian Lotefa (Gavin Howard 75). 
Subs Not Used: Cathal Gillen, Shane Heffernan, Ryan Byrne. 
Booked: None. 
Referee: Andrew Mullally.
Attendance: 175.
Extratime Man of the Match: Greg Sloggett (UCD AFC).