Longford Town 1 - 3 Cork City

Sun, Jul 24 2011
Cork City reclaimed second spot in the First Division table with a convincing win over Longford Town in Flancare Park on Saturday night.

On the balance of play the visitors deserved the victory but two events in the early stages of the second half definitely changed this game.

After Town got back on level terms just before half-time a dreadful decision here in the 55th minute saw Cork going back in front. The assistant referee failed to raise their flag for Daryl Horgan who was blatantly offside. The youngster made no mistake grabbing his second goal of the game much to the annoyance of the Town players.

It got worse for the Town one minute later when they were reduced to 10 men. Gary Cronin let his frustration boil over and was shown two yellow cards in quick succession for remonstrating with the referee about the goal.

With the numerical advantage Cork went on to dominate proceedings and grabbed their third goal of the game in the 72nd minute when Geaorid Morrisey volleyed home.

The home side made a bright start to the game but went behind in the 16th minute. A corner from the left by Morrissey was flicked on by Graham Cummins and was deflected into the net by Daryl Horgan.

City were buoyed up by that goal and four minutes later Derek O’Brien brought a fine save out of Town goalkeeper Paul Hunt. In the opening half the visitors were in complete control and the Town just couldn’t find a way of getting back into the game.

Hunt was called into action again in the 44th minute making two excellent saves to keep the Town in it. First he was tested by O’Brien, the loose ball fell to goalscorer Horgan but the Town netminder produced an excellent save to deny City from doubling their advantage.

Totally against the run of play the Town got their equaliser right on the stroke of half-time. Gavin Kavanagh brought down Don Cowan in the box. Up stepped Mark Salmon who blasted the ball by Mark McNulty.

It was all to play for in the second half but then two decisions 10 minutes after the break changed the game.

Longford Town: Paul Hunt, Graham Dowling, Chris Deans, Des Hope, Gary Cronin, Keith Gillespie (Austin Skelly 70), Mark Salmon, Craig Walsh, Cathal Brady (Michael Lee 60), Don Cowan (Jean Biansumba 77), Thomas Crawley.
Subs not used: Thomas Hyland, Jack Morley, Alvin Rouse, Alan McGreal.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Neal Horgan (Kalen Spillane 86), Gavin Kavanagh, Stephen Mulcahy, Danny Murphy, Daryl Horgan (Greg O’Halloran 71), Gearoid Morrissey, Shane Duggan, Derek O’Brien (Vinny Sullivan 71), Davin O’Neill, Graham Cummins.
Subs: Ian Turner, James McCarthy, Jamie Murphy, Vincent Escude Candau.

Referee: Sean Grant (Wexford)

Attendance: 400est

Extratime.ie man of the match: Daryl Horgan (Cork City) A constant threat all night and got on the scoresheet twice.