League Report: Waterford United 1 - 2 Drogheda United

Sat, Apr 23 2016

Credit: Matt Kirkham

Waterford United’s woes continued on Friday evening after Roddy Collins side extended their winless streak to five games in all competitions thanks to a 2-1 defeat against Drogheda United at the RSC.


In the week when the Blues met with League Director Fran Gavin to discuss their off field problems, their on the field struggles continued as goals in either half for Sean Brennan and Aaron Molloy were enough to give Pete Mahon’s side a first victory in three games.


The visitors opened the scoring after seven minutes when Brennan fired home from the game's first meaningful attack. As the half hour mark fast approached, Waterford United levelled the game when Aaron O’Connor finished past Stephen McGuiness after he latched onto a neat pass from Anthony McAlavey.


Eight minutes later, the hosts had a great opportunity to retake the lead when Sean Byrne unleashed a wicked long range effort, however, his strike sailed over the Drogheda crossbar.


Soon after, Waterford McAlavey had another opportunity to send the hosts into the break leading but his strike went the wrong side of the post.


With both side’s knowing a victory could propel them towards the playoff places it was Waterford with the half’s first chance. Aaron O’Connor broke clear down the right side before striking towards goal, but McGuinness made a smart save to deny the Waterford man his second goal.


As Drogheda continued to press for a second goal that would give them the lead for the second time, Eoin Kirwan fired wide a shot from an Adam Wixted cross.


Despite James O’Brien forcing McGuiness into a good stop with 20 minutes remaining the Drogs would snatch all three points late on. A mistake in the home side's defence allowed to nip in and Molloy to score his first goal of the season.


After tonight’s victory on the road, Drogheda United now climbed three places into second place and next weekend they host Cobh Ramblers at United Park, while Roddy Collins final game of his six match touchline ban sees his side travelling to runaway leaders Limerick FC next Saturday evening.


Waterford United: Kevin Burns; Robbie Buckley, Shane Mackey, Roy Butler, Sean Byrne; James O’Brien (Dean Broaders 76), Darren Murphy, David O’Leary, Dylan McGuire; Aaron O’Connor, Anthony McAlavey.

Subs Not Used: Corey Chambers, Dean Reidy, Colum Nugent, Ian Sinnott, James Dermody, Richard Tobin.

Booked: McAlavey (24), O'Brien (65), O'Connor (94).

Red Cards: Byrne (90+4)


Drogheda United: Stephen McGuinness; Lloyd Buckley, Niall Cooney, Luke Gallagher, Stephen Dunne; Adam Wixted, Sean Brennan, Aaron Molloy, Jake Hyland, Eoin Kirwan; Sam O’Connor.

Subs Not Used: Patrick Dunican, Joe Jackson, Mark Griffin, Sean Thornton, Derek Doyle, Liam Donnelly, Aaron Ash.

Booked: None.

Red Cards: None.


Referee: Simon Rogers

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Aaron Molloy (Drogheda United)


You can see Matt Kirkham's photos from the game here.