Date: 7:30 p.m. July 6, 2013
Venue: City Calling Stadium
Att: 403

David O'Sullivan 20' -
Peno Scored: 20'

Glen O'Connor 54' -
Scored: 54'

Red: 18'
- Craig Hyland 18'

Peno Scored: 59'
- Jack Doherty 59'

Longford Town 2 - 1 Waterford United

Sun, Jul 07 2013

Longford Town got back to winning ways with a hard fought win over Waterford United in a top of the table clash in City Calling Stadium on Saturday night.


After a defeat to Athlone Town and a draw with Salthill Devon, Town’s lead at the top was cut to four. In fact with Athlone winning the night before there was just one point between the two Midlands clubs so Longford knew how important the Waterford game was.


Waterford will feel they should’ve got something out of the game having battled hard throughout after goalkeeper Craig Hyland was red carded in the 18th minute. With the chances that they carved out in the final 10 minutes of the game they were unlucky not to come away with a point.


After an uneventful opening quarter it was the home side who had the first real effort on goal; Rhys Gorman played in David O’Sullivan but Hyland did well to save from the striker in the 17th minute.


The Blues netminder turned from hero to villain one minute later when he brought David O’Neill down in the box. Referee Adriano Reale didn’t hesitate in pointing to the spot and producing a red card. Waterford had to make an early change with substitute Chip Saunders coming on. His first bit of action was to pick the ball out of the net after O’Sullivan scored the penalty.


After that set-back Waterford tried hard to get back into the game and in the 36th minute Town defender Des Hope put in a fantastic tackle to deny Paul Quilty who was through on goal.


The home side started the second half brightly and within minutes of the restart Gary Shaw tested Saunders but the goalkeeper punched the danger clear. Waterford had a chance in the 51st minute; Jack Doherty’s corner from the right found Kevin O’Connor and he headed the ball down for Seamus Long but he blasted his effort over the bar.


Three minutes later and the home side doubled their advantage when left-back Glen O’Connor found the back of the net with a free-kick from about 25 yards out. At that stage it looked comfortable for the Town but five minutes later Waterford pulled a goal back.


John Frost’s powerful long-range shot hit the arm of defender Willie Tyrrell and the referee pointed to the spot. Doherty stepped up and beat Bennion with the spot-kick.


That goal really livened up the game and chances were created by both sides. In the 64th minute Gary Shaw chipped the ball over the top for O’Sullivan to follow but Saunders came rushing off his line to clear the danger.


Waterford then had an opportunity but Kevin O’Connor’s strike from 30 yards out just went wide. Down the other end Keith Quinn had a great chance to restore his side’s two goal advantage but unfortunately for him his effort went inches wide.


Waterford continued to pile on the pressure in a hope to get an equaliser; in the 77th minute Vinny Sullivan’s cross was deflected out by Town defender Noel Haverty, with Quilty in a dangerous position.


Both sides then had half-chances before deep into stoppage time Waterford very nearly levelled matters; Doherty’s cross from the left met Sullivan but he couldn’t direct his shot on goal and instead blasted it over.


In the dying seconds Town forced a corner as they held on for an important victory but they made hard work of it.


Longford Town: Chris Bennion; Noel Haverty, Des Hope, Willie Tyrrell, Glen O’Connor (Brian McCarthy 82); David O’Neill, Rhys Gorman, Keith Quinn, Daniel Purdy (Gavin Doyle 67); David O’Sullivan, Gary Shaw (Michael Isichei 78)

Subs not used: Paul Hunt, Chris Deans, Gary Cronin, Aaron Brilly.

Bookings: Haverty (22), Tyrrell (90+), Quinn (90+1)


Waterford Utd: Craig Hyland; John Frost, Gavin Kavanagh, Seamus Long, Michael Coady (Francis Rockett 50); Philip Drohan (Chip Saunders 19), Kevin O’Connor, Peter White (Ben Ryan 75), Jack Doherty; Paul Quilty, Vinny Sullivan.

Subs not used: Peter Higgins, David Breen, Conor Coad.

Bookings: Long (19), Sullivan (90+1)

Sending off: Hyland (18)


Referee: Adriano Reale (Kildare)

Attendance: 403 official

Extratime man of the match: Des Hope (Longford Town) 

Longford Town
Chris Bennion
Des Hope
Noel Haverty
22Booked: 22'
Glen O'Connor
54Scored: 54'
82Subbed Off: 82'
Willie Tyrell
90Booked: 90'
Rhys Gorman
David O'Neill
Keith Quinn
90Booked: 90'
Gary Shaw
78Subbed Off: 78'
David O'Sullivan
20Peno: 20'
Daniel Purdy
67Subbed Off: 67'

Brian McCarthy
82Subbed On: 82'
Michael Isichei
78Subbed On: 78'
Paul Hunt
Gavin Doyle
67Subbed On: 67'
Chris Deans
Gary Cronin
Aaron Brilly
Craig Hyland
18Sent off: 18'
Seamus Long
19Booked: 19'
Gavin Kavanagh
John Frost
Michael Coady
Defender 50'
50Subbed Off: 50'
Kevin O'Connor
Jack Doherty
59Peno: 59'
Peter White
Midfielder 75'
75Subbed Off: 75'
Philip Drohan
Forward 19'
19Subbed Off: 19'
Paul Quilty
Vinny Sullivan
90Booked: 90'

Peter Higgins
Conor Coad
David Breen
Francis Rockett
50Subbed On: 50'
Ben Ryan
75Subbed On: 75'
Chip Sanders
19Subbed On: 19'