LS Cup R4
Date: 7:30 p.m. March 23, 2011
Venue: Haddon Park
Att: Unknown

Shane Farrell 7' -
Scored: 7'

David Lacey 53' -
Scored: 53'

David Lacey 60' -
Scored: 60'

Scored: 80'
- Jason Oladele 80'

Killester United 3 - 1 Longford Town

Thu, Mar 24 2011
Killester United earned a well deserved victory over Longford Town at Frank Cooke Park, Dublin on Wednesday night. Two goals on the night from skipper, David Lacey and one from young wing-back Shane Farrell ensured the AUL side continue on to the third round of the Leinster Senior Cup.

On a crisp evening in North Dublin, Killester were just too strong for a make-shift Longford side, who clearly had one-eye on their league encounter with Limerick this coming Friday. Despite the decision of Longford manager Tony Cousins to rest a number of regular starters, credit must go to Killester for the attitude they displayed on the night.

United started the game at a better pace and got an early breakthrough when Shane Farrell, playing on the left of a five-man-defence, motored up-field, and exchanged passes with midfielder Sean Tracey. The full back’s well-placed finish from a tight angle gave the home side the perfect start. Killester continued as they started while Longford looked lethargic and couldn’t match the AUL side’s energy levels.

Killester had two chances to add a second before the break. A long ball over the top from the left foot of centre-half Fran Matthews found striker David Lacey. His effort on the half volley was expertly saved by Longford ‘keeper Paul Hunt. Then, some lovely one-touch interplay between Sean Tracey and David Lacey, ended with a shot from the impressive Lacey coming back off the Longford post. It was, however, a sign of what lay ahead.

While the the home side led at half time, many expected more from Longford Town in the second half. There was some improvement at the beginning of the second period, but it didn’t last. A quick counter attack from Killester on 55 minutes put them further ahead when some clever work in a tight space by Sean Tracey, who was playing ‘in the hole’ for Killester, created the opening for Lacey, who coolly slotted home.

Killester added the killer blow on the hour mark. Yet another pacy counter-attack led by David Lacey, ended with the striker’s second goal of the game and more-or-less ended it as a contest. Longford did salvage a consolation goal, winger Jason Oladele bundling in an unclaimed corner on the 80 minute mark. Killester, though, were unmoved and finished, as they had been throughout, the stronger side.

Longford manager Tony Cousins said afterwards, he was pleased to have had the opportunity to give some of his younger, fringe players a run-out, though he can’t have been pleased with their levels of performance. Killester, on the other hand, will be buoyed by their performance and should consider themselves in with a real chance of progressing in this competition and maybe causing a few more upset’s along the way.

Killester United: Craig Reilly; Darren Kavanagh, Shane Farrell, Ross Carrig, Adam McCormack, Fran Matthews; Jay Donnery, Marc Ryan, Sean Tracey; David Lacey (Dean Gibbons 89), Keith O’Neill (Daniel Murphy 80).
Subs not used: Willie Henry, Ian Graham, Paul Graydon, Alan Murphy, Conor Daily

Bookings: None.

Longford Town: Paul Hunt; Mark Connaghton, Gary Cronin, Mark McCourt, Paddy Collins; Peter Szcerbowski (Thomas Hyland 62), Jason Oladele, Lee Roche, Darren Carberry (Craig Walsh 46); Aidan Roche (Austin Skelly 56), Danny O’Reilly.
Subs not used: Mark Salmon, Jacques Morley, Niall O’Reilly, Chris Deans.

Bookings: Aidan Roche, Austin Skelly, Thomas Hyland. Man of the Match: David Lacey.
Referee:Ms Rhona Daly.
Attendance: 80 (estimate).

Killester United

Longford Town


Photo Gallery for Killester United -v- Longford Town