FAI Cup R3
Date: 7:45 p.m. June 4, 2010
Venue: Terryland Park
Att: Unknown

Rhys Meynell 4' -
Scored: 4'

Danny Butler 15' -
OG: 15'

Anthony Flood 23' -
Scored: 23'

Karl Sheppard 47' -
Scored: 47'

Cian McBrien 86' -
Scored: 86'

Galway United 5 - 0 Malahide United

Fri, Jun 04 2010
A triple blast in the opening quarter put to bed any notions of a giant killing at Terryland Park tonight, as Galway United comfortably ensured their safe passage into the FAI Ford Cup last 16.

Early goals from Rhys Meynell, a Danny Butler OG, and Anto Flood, eased any latent fears the small band of Terryland faithful who trekked up the Dyke Road may have had. An assured display left a mark on the club's record books as Cian McBrien's late strike meant the scoreline eclipsed the previous record win in the competition, which had been in place since the early Eighties.

Galway began the tie without natural wide men as Bobby Ryan was forced to sit out while regular right back Seamus Conneely also missed out, joining Derek O'Brien and Alan Murphy on the injured list. Malahide arrived with a decent Cup pedigree and three players with League of Ireland experience in the shape of Robbie Hedderman, Glen Lacey, and Alan Keely.

However, their experience was not to count for much, as Galway tore holes in the visiting defence in the opening quarter, and were three to the good by the 23rd minute.

Rhys Meynell began the assault on Pat Dunne's goal in the fourth minute when he latched onto a loose ball on the penalty spot following Gary Curran's in-swinging free-kick. When the ball sat up nicely for the left footer, the net bulged to the home side's delight as the versatile Englishman claimed his second goal in United colours.

While Malahide reacted well, forcing two corners in quick succession, this was as threatening as their attack was to look in the half, as Galway bossed the centre of the park through U23 international Stephen O'Donnell and Ciaran Foley and in Karl Sheppard and Anthony Flood had the thrust in attack to punish any mistakes.

What Malahide didn't need to do was gift Galway a second, but that they did on 16 minutes, when a decent move down the right flank led to Flood sending in a low cross that invited a decisive touch, one that arrived from Malahide right full Danny Butler as he tried to deny Gary Curran from finishing.

Seven minutes later, it was 3-0 as Sheppard dallied on the right touchline before hooking in a looping cross that found Flood in space and he floated a well-placed header beyond Dunne for his sixth of the season.

With Galway thoroughly dominant, the proceedings became akin to a pre-season friendly, with the home side satisfied to knock it about and Malahide unable to get any forward momentum.

The half time break came and went and Sean Connor's side again came out firing, notching their fourth of the night two minutes after the resumption. Gary Curran was again involved, curling in a peach of a cross from the right which Sheppard met with aplomb to guide a header into the bottom corner.

Events elsewhere soon became the main talking point as another Terryland resident, Mervue United, threatened an upset at Morton Stadium against the might of Sporting Fingal.

Pitchside, Sheppard went close to doubling his tally but poked narrowly wide before Malahide crafted their best move of the game which resulted in substitute Chris Barbour testing Barry Ryan from 10 yards out, the 'keeper forced to save with his legs.

Galway threatened further damage, but failed to hit the target for the remainder of the contest until McBrien's late bullet, with Pat Dunne making a series of last ditch saves to deny Anto Flood and Jason Molloy and save Malahide further torture.

Galway United: Barry Ryan; Thomas Heary (Tom King, 46), Paul Sinnott, Jamie McKenzie, Rhys Meynell: Gary Curran, Stephen O'Donnell (Cian McBrien, 65), Ciaran Foley, James Creaney; Karl Sheppard (Jason Molloy, 80), Anto Flood.
Subs not used: Seamus Conneely, Bobby Ryan.

Malahide United: Pat Dunne; Danny Butler (Stephen Reddy, 83) , Mark O'Reilly, Alan Keely, Robbie Hedderman; Callum Riches, Adam Shehabadden (Brendan Markey, 65) , Neal O'Brien (Chris Barbour, 56), Glen Lacey; Stephen Conway, Gareth Logan.
Subs not used: Keith Rock, Alan Doyle, Alan Corcoran, Graham Greene.

Attendance: 375 est.

Referee: P. Sutton.

extratime Man of the Match: Gary Curran.