League of Ireland stalwart Kenny Browne confirms retirement

Fri, Jan 24 2020

Kenny Browne Credit: John-Paul McGinley (ETPhotos)

League of Ireland stalwart Kenny Browne has confirmed his retirement from senior League of Ireland football.

The former Cork City and Waterford defender confirmed his retirement saying; “That’s it, boots in the bin. Thanks for the support and abuse over the years. I loved it.

“Thanks to the managers, players, staff and especially the Strength and Conditioning coaches for putting up with me (laughs).

“Fortunate enough to win a few trophies and play in some memorable European nights and share the pitch with some great players along the way. Memories for life, it’s been a pleasure.”

Kenny signed for Waterford United from local side Bohemians in 2004, and gradually forced his way into the senior squad. ‘Fletch’ became a regular in the Blues first team in the 2006 season.

An injury in 2007 limited his appearances, but 2008 saw a return to regular first team action and in 2009 he was voted the supporters’ Player of the Year.

2009 was a good year for both Kenny and the Blues and he played in his first Cup final, scoring Waterford's goal when they lost 3-1 to Bohemians in the EA Sports Cup final.

In 2010 Kenny moved up to the Premier Division when he signed for Liam Buckley at newly promoted Sporting Fingal.

He made 30 league appearances for the Ravens as they finished fourth in their first season in the top-flight. But it would also prove to be their last as the club folded on 10 February 2011.

Suddenly without a club, Kenny returned to Waterford United for 2011 where he made 28 league appearances in a disappointing season that saw the departure of manager Stephen Henderson during the summer.

In January 2012 he confirmed a move back to Dublin where he signed up for his former Fingal boss Liam Buckley who had just taken over at St Patrick's Athletic.

He made 28 league appearances for the Saints that year and followed that up with 29 league appearances in 2013 when Pats won their seventh League title.

Kenny stayed with St Pats for the 2014 season and made a further twenty-seven appearances for the club in the league as they finished third.

He was also a part of the team that won the FAI Cup Final, as they beat Derry City 2-0. He continued with the club for the 2015 season and made eighteen league appearances for the club as they secured fourth place in the league.

Kenny also was a part of the squad that won the EA Sports Cup in what turned out to be his last season for the Saints.

In November 2015, Kenny joined Cork City and he made 26 league appearances for City as they finished, yet again, as runner's up to Dundalk in the 2016 Premier Division.

Kenny also picked up an FAI Cup winners medal as the Leesiders beat Dundalk 1-0 in the final.

In pre-season of 2017 Kenny played in Cork City's Munster Senior Cup games against St Mary's and Blarney United but one week before the league campaign began he announced his departure from Turner's Cross and a few days later he signed for Pat Fenlon at his home town club, Waterford FC.

After making 23 appearances during the 2017 promotion season it was announced that Kenny would remain with Waterford for their 2018 Premier Division campaign. In January 2019, Kenny re-signed with Waterford.