League Report: League Report: Bohemians 0 - 2 Dundalk

Fri, May 10 2019

Michael Duffy and Derek Pender in action Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

Sam McKeever reports from Dalymount Park

Dundalk went top of the league on Friday night as they picked up a vital three points with a 2-0 win over third placed Bohemians at Dalymount Park on Friday night. 

 The Lillywhites dominated the opening period of the game and had their first real shot on goal in the 13thminute. Winger Michael Duffy cut inside before hitting a firm shot towards the left hand bottom corner only for James Talbot to get down well to save.

Keith Long’s men were weathering the storm quite well and put a decent move together just a few minutes later. Keith Buckley’s bursting run was completed with a good pass to Dinny Corcoran before the former Sligo Rovers man found Danny Mandroiu with a good ball.

However the midfielder was adjudged to be offside before he could get his shot away.

Dundalk’s pressure finally paid off mid-way through the half. A Derek Pender tackle deflected off the shins of Dean Jarvis falling kindly to the feet of Georgie Kelly. He calmly turned with his back to goal before slotting home brilliantly past Talbot to give them a deserved lead.

Mandroiu was the most likely to make something happen for the home side and he came close with a great effort from a free kick which just went past Gary Rogers right hand post.

Bohemians came  into the game late in the first half and some good play from Devaney found Leahy in the box. He pulled the ball back to Mandroiu who tried to side foot past Rogers but the veteran goal keeper was equal to the effort with a fine save.

There was nothing to shout about in terms of chances in the opening 15 minutes of the second half with a rash effort from Chris Shields from 30 yards only being the only effort of note.

The second half was a rather scrappy affair with three penalty shouts in the final twenty minutes of the game. The first was one came when Danny Grant ran into the box before being adjudged to have taken a dive by Ben Connolly 

A minute later Mandroiu found himself clean through on goal before being taken down by full-back Sean Gannon and Connolly once again ignored the appeals from the Bohemians support and players.

15 minutes from time, Dundalk were awarded a penalty. A clumsy push by substitute Luke-Wade Slater on Duffy gave the referee no option but to point to the spot. Chris Shields stepped up but  Talbot saved to keep it at a one goal defecit.  

A few minutes later and Dundalk had the game wrapped up. A cross from the left hand side by Duffy found the head of Sean Hoare who made no mistake heading home from close range after losing his man.

Dundalk almost rubbed salt into the wounds with five minutes to go. As Keith Long’s side chased the game, the Lilywhites hit Bohemians on the break. Duffy released Daniel Kelly on the right but his effort was poor with Talbot making an easy save. 

It was a professional performance from the Lillywhites who go top for the first time this season with their sixth win in their last seven has been vital allowing them to catch and go above Shamrock Rovers on goal difference.

Bohemians: James Talbot; Derek Pender(Andy Lyons 51) , Darragh Leahy, Aaron Barry, Danny Mandroiu; Dinny Corcoran, Kevin Devaney(Keith Ward  59), Danny Grant(Luke Wade-Slater 74), Conor Levingston; Keith Buckley, James Finnerty. 

Subs not used: Sean Bohan, Robbie McCourt, Michael Barker, Ryan Swan,

Booked: Derek Pender (36), Luke Wade-Slater (74).

Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland, Sean Hoare, Chris Shields; Michael Duffy, Patrick McEleney, Georgie Kelly(Jordan Flores 82), Sean Murray (John Moutney 73); Daniel Kelly (Cameron Dummigan 88), Dean Jarvis

Subs not used: Aaron McCarey, Dane Massey, Daniel Cleary, Lido Lotefa

Booked: Patrick McEleney (17), Dean Jarvis (55).

Referee: Ben Connolly

Man of the Match: Michael Duffy (Dundalk)

Attendance: 3,535