UEFA U17 European Championships Report: Netherlands 5 - 2 England

Mon, May 06 2019

The teams lined up in Tolka Park Credit: Albert Thompson (ETPhotos)

Netherlands have qualified for the quarter-final stage of the U17 European Championships after a 5-2 victory over England at Tolka Park on Monday afternoon.

England took the lead after just seven minutes as captain Taylor Harwood-Bellis rose highest to meet the corner delivered by Miguel Azeez, with Harwood-Bellis sending his header in off the inside of the far post.

Netherlands were quick to respond though and levelled less three minutes later as Brian Brobbey found space in the box and unleashed a powerful strike into the roof of the net, leaving Louie Moulden with little chance in the England goal.

England had a number of chances to regain their lead as Sam Greenwood saw a free-kick saved comfortably by Raatsie before Harwood-Bellis headed wide from another Azeez corner.

Netherlands always looked threatening and Brobbey saw what looked like a cross turn to a shot narrowly go over the bar.

England had another chance on 24 minutes as Joe Gelhardt won the ball back off Ian Maatsen high up the field. He played in Samson Robinson but his strike lacked power and was straight at Raatsie.

England did retake the lead on 33 minutes though. A good move down the right saw Robinson fouled by Bogarde in the box, the referee played advantage as the ball had ran on to another England player.

However, his shot was saved and play called back to award the penalty. Sam Greenwood stepped up and made no mistake, firing past Calvin Raatsie to restore England’s lead.

Netherlands responded even quicker this time though and were level within a minute. Ian Maatsen broke into the right side of the box but his strike bounced back off the base of the post.

The ball fell to Naoufal Bannis who took a touch before firing in from the edge of the back to level the game for the second time.

It was the Netherlands who would go in at the break in front as Brobbey allowed the ball to run to Sontje Hansen who curled the ball in past Moulden.

It was England who had the first two chances of the second half, going close on 52 minutes as Miguel Azeez hit the base of the post from a free kick from 30 yards.

Just two minutes later, Cole Palmer cut in from the right, beat two defenders well but saw his shot from a tight angle saved at the near post.

It would be Netherlands who extended their lead though as Jensen Weir was penalised for a handball in the box and Brian Brobbey stepped up to score his second of the game.

Netherlands made it 5-2 just three minutes later. Hoever’s quick free kick led to Naci Unuvar picking the ball up on the left.

Unuvar cut inside and hit a powerful effort from 20 yards, Moulden managed to get hand to it, diving to his right but failed to keep the ball out.

Peter Van Der Veen’s side were in control at this stage and almost had a sixth with twenty minutes to play.

Maatsen won the ball high up the pitch, starting a move on the right. The ball was eventually squared back to Hansen at the back post but his shot was blocked by a last-ditch challenge from Malachi Walcott.

They had a number of chances to add to their tally, as Brobbey looked for his hattrick and Sontje Hansen his second but 5-2 was the scoreline as the Netherland progressed to the quarter-finals.

Netherlands: Calvin Raatsie; Ki-Jana Hoever, Melayro Bogarde, Devyne Rensch, Ian Maatsen; Kenneth Taylor (C) (Joost de Schutter 76’), Naoufal Bannis (Mohamed Taabouni 65’), Dirk Proper (Anass Salah-Eddine HT’); Sontje Hansen, Brian Bobbey, Naci Unuvar (Soulyman Allouch 65’).

Unused Subs: Tein Troost (GK), Steven van der Sloot, Neraysho Kasanwirjo, Mohamed Sankoh, Syb van Ottele.

Yellow: Devyne Rensch (33’), Naoufal Bannis (55’), Kenneth Taylor (59’), Ian Maatsen (84’).

England: Louie Moulden; Haydon Roberts, Malachi Walcott, Taylor Harwood-Bellis (C), Samson Robinson (Matt Bondswell 62’); Miguel Azeez, Sam Greenwood (Benjamin Knight 71’), Jensen Weir (Teddy Jenks 81’); Cole Palmer, Morgan Rogers, Joe Gelhardt.

Unused Subs: James Trafford (GK), Teden Mengi, Lewis Bate.

Yellow Cards: Taylor Harwood-Bellis (68’).

Referee: Manfredas Lukjancukas (Lithuania).

Attendance: 2411 (official).

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Brian Brobbey (Netherlands).