League Report: Finn Harps 2 - 3 Derry City

Fri, Apr 05 2019

Derry City celebrate in Finn Park Credit: Clare McCahill (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley reports from Finn Park   

There was derby delight for Derry City on Friday night in Finn Park as David Parkhouse's late double sealed local bragging rights in the North-West derby. 

Finn Harps would play the majority of the contest with ten men after Colm Deasy saw red for a terrible challenge on Ciaran Coll which ended the City defender’s evening early. 

Aidy Delap gave the Candystripes the lead early in the second half before Nathan Boyle equalised just after the hour mark. David Parkhouse would prove to be the hero in red and white as his bullet header sealed a valuable three points and the derby win after Mikey Place converted a consolation penalty with the last kick of the game. 

Harps made the brighter start to the contest with the bulk of play taking place in the Derry half of the field. 

Despite their early dominance, the home team failed to carve out any real clear chances as Caolan McAleer sent a series of balls towards the back post.

Eventually, the visitors grew into the contest and had their first opportunity courtesy of some midfield tenacity from Gregg Sloggett. He slipped the ball left to David Parkhouse who picked out Junior in the area, the latter’s cross narrowly sailing over the bar.

Declan Devine’s men continued to assert their authority as Ciaran Coll sent a stunning diagonal ball into the feet of Jamie McDonagh, but his low effort was easily gathered by Ciaran Gallagher. 

Minutes later, Conor McDermott would bomb down the right, picking out Barry McNamee on the edge of the area. It appeared that the midfielder, had too much time as he failed to get a shot away from what was a very promising position. 

In the 37th minute of the contest, Finn Harps were reduced to ten as Deasy was given a straight red for a late challenge on Coll, that left the former-Harps man unable to continue. He left the field on a stretcher. 

The Candystripes took the lead in the 53rdminute of the game as substitute Aidy Delap broke the deadlock. 

Ciaran Harkin fired a quick free kick up the right wing to Delap who crossed deep into the area. Junior would keep the move alive by sending the ball into the area where Sloggett tried a cheeky turn before Delap took control to fire into the roof of the net. 

On the hour mark, the hosts could have restored parity only for a fine save by Nathan Gartside. Daniel O’Reilly clipped a delightful ball over the Derry defence into the path of McAleer who was denied by a brave Gartside. 

Harps thought they had equalised from the resulting corner as a period of pinball ensued as Eoin Toal cleared the ball on the goal-line. 

There was a quarter of an hour left to play when James Kavanagh’s cross was helped into the area by Sam Todd who directed the ball into the path of Nathan Boyle. Boyle showed real composure to put the ball into the bottom right corner of the net to restore parity. 

From the very next attack, the hosts could have taken the lead after a swift free kick down the channel from McAleer found O’Reilly, but his miscued effort flew over the bar. 

As expected, Derry responded with a wave of attacks peppering the opposition goal.

One such attack saw Jamie McDonagh clip the ball into the area, David Parkhouse rose highest to head the ball into the top right corner of the net to, send the sizeable visiting support into pandemonium. 

Derry grabbed a two goal cushion soon after with a long ball that sent Parkhouse through on goal. Gallagher should have cleared but Parkhouse pounced on the error and skipped by Gallagher tapping the ball into the empty net. 

Harps got a late consolation when substitute Mikey Place dispatched a penalty into the net with the final kick of the game. 

Finn Harps: Ciaran Gallagher; Colm Deasy, Niall Logue, Sam Todd, Daniel O’Reilly; Caolan McAleer, Keith Cowen, Jason Borg, Tony McNamee, John Kavanagh; Nathan Boyle (Mikey Place 83).

Subs not Used: Peter Burke, Mark Timlin, Mark Russell, Michael Gallagher, Liam Walsh, Stephen Doherty. 

Booked: Sam Todd (22), John Kavanagh (45), Tony McNamee (45)

Red Card: Colm Deasy (37)

Derry City: Nathan Gartside; Conor McDermott (Darren Cole 58), Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll (Aidy Delap 41) (Eoghan Stokes 85); Jamie McDonagh, Ciaron Harkin, Greg Sloggett, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe; Barry McNamee; David Parkhouse. 

Subs not Used: Daniel Houghton, Gerardo Bruna, Evan Tweed. 

Booked: Ally Gilchrist (20), Conor McDermott (45), Eoin Toal (76)

Referee: Neil Doyle 

Attendance: 2,228 

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: David Parkhouse (Derry City)