Friendly Report: Kerry District League 0 - 6 Cork City

Fri, Jan 25 2019

Cork City ended their pre-season campaign with a unanimous 6-0 hammering of a Kerry District League selection. Goals from Pierce Phillips, Liam Nash, Daire O’Connor and a Graham Cummins Hat-trick was enough to seal the victory for John Caulfield’s men.

Cork squared up against a rather under strength Kerry District League side which featured Kerry U19 players along with senior players from the local district league. Adam O’Rourke a former player with Wexford Youths was one of the well-known names who lined up for the home side, but it was always going to be a battle against a side like Cork City.

The League of Ireland side started strong netting the game’s first goal with just over 90 seconds played as Pierce Phillips finished from close range, converting a cross from Liam Nash in the process as the league runners up laid down a marker early on.

Despite taking the lead early Cork were in the driving seat all game from start to finish, showing all of their class along the way, coming close to grabbing a second goal after eight minutes with Nash turning on the edge of the box and shooting for goal but his shot was straight at Kerry keeper Barry Galvin.

Like their performance against Killarney Celtic the night previous Cork were dominating possession but failed to make their chances count in front of goal as Nash and Phillips both came close to scoring but failed to make the net bulge again.

The Rebel Army got their second goal inside the 18th minute as Nash managed to gather the ball inside the area before rounding Galvin and firing home for his third goal in two days despite the name change along the way.

Kerry struggled to create any  opportunities to create a goal in the opening half, struggling to contend with a constant Cork City barrage causing major defensive turmoil in the process, Cork meanwhile were enjoying spreading the ball around the syntenic surface of the Mounthawk pitch and could have easily added to their tally as Graham Cummins and Gary Commerford came close to finding the target with Cummins’ effort being cleared off the line.

With less than five minutes to go until half time Cork had their main purple patch in front of goal, scoring three in quick succession, a bursting run by Pierce Phillips down the right setup Graham Cummins to tap home from close range, Cummins quickly managed to grab a second just seconds later teeing up a volley from outside the area and finding the top corner despite the efforts of Galvin the Kerry net. Cummins completed his hat trick four minutes later as he converted a penalty after Ronan Coughlan was fouled in the area.

 5-0 was the score at the break with the game pretty much over beyond reasonable doubt.

Both sides rang the changes at half time with Cork bringing on two former local players in the form of Evison Rramani and Kevin Williams with the latter having featured for the Kerry U17’s.

Cork saw the game out as a contest in the 50th minute as Daire O’Connor gathered possession outside the Kerry area and unleashed a powerful strike from distance that managed to find its way beyond Galvin and into the net.

It took the home side until the 54th minute to register a shot on target against Tadhg Ryan in the Cork net, as former Wexford Youths player Adam O’Rourke hit a curling effort towards goal which was saved well by the Cork shot stopper.

Ronan Coughlan could have added to the misery of the home supporters after the hour mark, but both his efforts failed to make their way towards goal.

The Rebels despite leading 6-nil did not let off against the home side as Graham Cummins had several chances to increase his personal tally but the forward failed to trouble Brian O’Regan who came on to replace Galvin between the posts.

Referee Anthony Morrison blew the final whistle ending the Cork City onslaught as the Rebels will now focus on their Presidents Cup tie against Dundalk in Turners Cross in two weeks time. 

Kerry District League: Barry Galvin (Brian O’Regan 63); Colin McCarthy, Michael Walshe (Shane Jordan 72), Paudie Bailey (Patrick Dowling 82), Ronan Cahill (David Rodgers 45); Joe Hurley (Jr Tshikato 63); Steven Hayes (JJ Prior 60), Sean Cournane (Jordan Barry 82), Ivan Parker (Sebastian Vasiu 63), Adam O’Rourke (Jack Pierce 72); Ashely Kelliher.(Jack Sheehan 82).

Subs not used: N/A.

Yellow Cards:  None.

Cork City FC: Tadhg Ryan; Ronan Hurley, John Kavanagh, Alan Bennet, Aaron Barry, Pierce Phillip (Kevin Williams 45); Gary Commerford; Ronan Coughlan, Daire O’Connor, Liam Nash (Evison Rramani 45); Graham Cummins.

Subs not used: Mark McNulty (gk), Sean McLoughlin, Shane Griffin, Colm Horgan.

Yellow Cards: Gary Comerford (57).


Referee: Anthony Morrison .

Extratime.ie Man of The Match: Graham Cummins (Cork City).