FAI Women's Cup Final Report: Wexford Youths 1 - 0 Peamount United

Sun, Nov 04 2018

Wexford keeper Sophie Lenehan denies Eleanor Ryan Doyle of Peamount. Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick (ETPhotos)

A moment of magic from Katrina Parrock was enough for Wexford Youths to seal a domestic treble as they overcame Peamount United 1-0 in the FAI Cup final at the Aviva Stadium.

The winger showed great skill to flick a header from Rianna Jarrett's over her head before nudging the ball past Peas keeper Naoisha McAloon.

The goal came against the run of play as the west Dublin side – who scored an astonishing 74 goals in 20 games in the league this season – made all the early running.

Wexford keeper Sophie Lenehan was busy in the early stages as she was forced into action to deny Amber Barrett, Áine O'Gorman and Eleanor Ryan Doyle

Megan Smyth-Lynch shot just over as she latched onto a nice lay-off from Barrett, while Wexford's first real effort came courtesy of captain Kylie Murphy, who curled a shot wide on the half-hour.

The champions had the ball in the net when McAloon dropped a cross and Edel Kennedy turned home the loose ball, but it was correctly chalked off for a foul on Louise Corrigan.

Wexford took the lead moments later when Jarrett, who had been expected to miss out after breaking a bone in her foot on international duty, got her head to Emma Hansberry's cross.

It was all Parrock from there, however, as the former All-Ireland winning camogie star shrugged off the attention of Lauryn O'Callaghan before stabbing the ball into the net.

Peamount should have had a penalty on the stroke of half time as Barrett – who scored 30 goals in the league this season – raced into the box.

The Ireland striker was tripped by Orlaith Conlon, but referee Vicki McEnery was unconvinced and Wexford took a rather fortunate lead into the break, to the Peas chagrin.

The second half was less eventful as Wexford were content to sit back and invite the Dublin side to break them down, which was always going to be a tall order against the double league champions.

Chloe Moloney saw her header bounce the wrong side of the post, while O'Gorman slashed her shot wide as Peamount started to gamble a little more in attack.

Barrett was again denied a penalty in the fourth injury time as she hit the turf under a clumsy challenge from Lauren Dwyer, but again the referee played on.

Wexford held on to secure their third trophy of the season, having already sealed the Women's National League Shield and league title.

Wexford Youths: Sophie Lenehan; Nicola Sinnott, Lauren Dwyer, Orlaith Conlon, Doireann Fahey; Kylie Murphy, Edel Kennedy, Emma Hansberry; Katrina Parrock (McKenna Davidson 80), Aisling Frawley, Rianna Jarrett (Orla Casey 72).

Subs not used: Ciamh Dollard (gk), Ciara Delaney, Aoife Slattery, Becky Cassin, Rachel Hutchinson.

Booked: None.

Peamount United: Naoisha McAloon; Lauryn O’Callaghan (Louise Masterson 90), Louise Corrigan, Chloe Moloney, Lucy McCartan (Claire Walsh 56); Niamh Farrelly, Eleanor Ryan-Doyle, Karen Duggan; Aine O’Gorman, Megan Smyth-Lynch (Dearbhaile Beirne 64), Amber Barrett.

Subs not used: Niamh Barnes, Sarah McKevitt, Lauren Kealy, Jade Reddy.

Booked: None.

Referee: Vicki McEnery.

Attendance: 2,000 (estimate).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Katrina Parrock (Wexford Youths).