Champions League Report: Wexford Youth Ladies 3 - 2 Linfield Ladies

Mon, Aug 13 2018

A 94th minute Kylie Murphy goal gave Wexford Youths a dramatic 3-2 victory over Linfield Ladies at Seaview in the UEFA Women’s Champions League.

It was an even start to the game with Wexford Youths shading the possession stats ever so slighty. Their first real chance did not coming until the ninth minute but a good one it was.

Aisling Frawley found space on the left and made her way towards goal before hitting a low shot but hooked her shot just wide of the post to the relief of Lauren Perry in the goal.

The pressure was too much for Linfield and two minutes later Wexford had the lead from a superb set piece.

Captain Kylie Murphy led by example and rose highest from a corner to direct a powerful header past Perry to give Wexford the lead.

Rianna Jarrett really came into the game once the opening goal went in, going close minutes later from an Emma Hansberry pass after a driving run from the midfielder through the middle.

The chance for Jarrett had the Wexford striker eager for more and she doubled Wexford’s lead after twenty minutes. Another sublime set piece from the Women’s National League side.

Nicola Sinnott played a laser-like ball to Jarrett on the edge of the box who made no mistake and took her time to direct her header past Perry.

Linfield, to their credit, kept their spirits up and dug their heels in for the remainder of the first half making life very difficult for Wexford.

Their hard work and urgency in their play paid off minutes before half time when Megan Bell scored a stunning free-kick past Lenehan to give Linfield hope heading in at half time.

There weren’t as many chances in the second half with a good midfield battle unfolding between both sides.

Wexford Youths seemed content to protect their lead and went slightly more defensive in the second half.

Linfield worked tirelessly to break Wexford down and create chances but Orlaith Conlon and Lauren Dwyer kept the defence organised and on their toes and never really looked too troubled in the second half.

Both teams made changes looking to get an impact from their bench and substitute Catriona Parrock made a bright start when she came on with thirty minutes remaining.

Parrock, Jarrett and Ashling Frawley were linking up excellently up front and almost combined perfectly for Wexford’s third late in the second half. Frawley battled her way past Robson on the right before drilling a quick ball into the box, Jarrett got a faint touch before Parrock at the back post skied her effort over the bar.

It looked like Wexford would see out the game narrowly as the game entered the final minutes but there was huge drama in the closing five minutes.

Another dangerous Megan Bell free-kick was launched into a packed box with Claire Timoney somehow getting a touch in amongst the goalmouth scramble to poke the ball home and send the Linfield crowd into raptures.

The drama didn’t end there and Wexford’s hunger and ruthless efficiency told in the dying moments of the game.

Lenehan launched the ball up the pitch from the goal-kick with Frawley earning her side a corner.

Captain fantastic Murphy followed the corner all the way and timed her low shot perfectly to give Wexford a dramatic 3-2 win against Linfield.

Wexford Youth Women: Sophie Lenehan, Rebekah Cassin, Orlaith Conlon, Lauren Dwyer, Nicola Sinnnott, Emma Hansberry, Edel Kennedy (Aoife Slattery 75), Kylie Murphy, Orla Casey (Catriona Parrock 53), Ashling Frawley, Rianna Jarrett (Doireann Fahey 86)

Linfield Ladies:  Lauren Perry, Kelsie Burrows (Claire Timoney 62), Ashley Hutton, Chloe McCarron, Louise McFrederick (Louise McDaniel 45), Lauren Robson, Megan Bell, Jennifer McDade, Rebecca McKenna (Caitlin McGuiness 65), Sarah Venney, Rebecca Bassett