League Report: Cabinteely 1 - 2 Wexford

Fri, Jul 06 2018

Wexford keeper Corey Chambers made some vital saves as Wexford hung on. Credit: Steve Alfred (ETPhotos)

Alex Dunne reports from Stradbrook Park

A late goal from Dean Kelly saw Wexford steal all three points with a 2-1 win against Cabinteely in their SSE Airtricity League First Division clash at Stradbrook.

After dominating much of the first half, Cabo took a deserved lead in the 54th minute when Cnor Keeley converted a penalty.

But a noticeable drop in intensity after the goal gave Wexford a lifeline, and Mark Slater headed home the equalisder before a defensive howler handed Kelly the winner with three minutes to go.

Cabinteely created the first chance after just three minutes, when a good run from Keith Dalton set up Luke Clucas and then Kieran 'Marty' Waters, who both couldn't find the target.

Cabinteely's midfield worked hard to try stretch the organised Wexford defensive shape, and while the away side were able to frustrate the hosts at times, Cabo looked comfortably on top.

Aaron Dobbs, largely restricted due to the high balls coming his way that were generally gobbled up by the towering Conor Keeley, turned blocker from Conor Early's half-volley in the 14th minute.

A Ryan Nolan shot in anger finally registered Wexford's first attempt a minute later – albeit one that sailed wide.

The warning signs were coming though, as the Cabo defenders began to relax just a little too much in possession.

Jack Tuite, totally falling asleep, gifted Danny Doyle a golden chance one-on-one with Stephen McGuinness which he blazed over in the 22nd minute.

Dean Kelly almost fell into a shot in the 35th minute that nearly caught McGuinness on the hop, but generally Wexford were caught lacking in the final third, unable to create much.

Once Christian Lotefa broke in behind the visitors' midfield to tee up Waters, it was backs to the wall again before half time.

Dean Casey was able to send in one final chance for Waters right on the stroke of half-time, but a free header went over from 12 yards.

The hosts started out the second half well on top once again, with Earley sending in an effort and Clucas almost turning in a Casey corner.

Then the key moment for Cabo came from yet another set-piece delivery, when a raft of incidents in the box from another Casey delivery forced a penalty.

Conor Keeley stepped up to calmly dispatch the spot-kick and put Cabo in front, with nobody stopping his bottom-right effort, and a handy pay-off for all their hard work.

But the effort seemed to stop from the south Dublin club soon after, and they gradually allowed the Pinkbellies to get back into the game.

The introductions of Emmett Nugent and Slater would prove key as the substitutes combined to produce the equaliser, Slater slid in the substitute striker before arriving in the box to turn in the cut-back.

Nugent's introduction saw Wexford hustle and harry Cabo much further up the pitch, and it produced the goods as chances flowed for the south coast side.

Nugent had a low drive go just wide of the right upright, Owen McCormack somehow managed to head wide from six yards, and Slater hit the post.

Joe Doyle would strike the crossbar himself for Cabo, while Jack Watson missed a glorious opportunity in the 77th minute after running all the way from his own half, beating four Wexford players but shooting straight into the welcoming arms of Corey Chambers.

Chambers was on hand to provide a scrambling save from a wicked Casey shot, but Cabo would get caught on the break in the final minutes.

A Dean George cross caused a mix-up between Keeley and Sean Fitzpatrick, and in the ensuing chaos the ball was stabbed home by Kelly.

Keeley went up front for Cabo in the dying embers, and his knock-on from a Fitzpatrick long throw in injury time provided a chance for Waters, but his overhead volley went sailing over the bar

Cabinteely: Stephen McGuinness; Sean Fitzpatrick, Conor Keeley, Jack Tuite; Keith Dalton, Conor Early (Zack O'Neill 83), Christian Lotefa, Dean Casey (Karl Byrne 76); Kieran 'Marty' Waters, Luke Clucas (Joe Doyle 72), Jack Watson.

Subs not used: Sean Hyland, Robert McGee, Andy O'Reilly, Adam Maher.

Booked: Early (14).

Wexford: Corey Chambers; Conor Sutton, Owen McCormack, Sean Kelly, John Morgan; Danny Doyle (Mark Slater 60), Dean Kelly, Mikey Byrne (Aaron O'Connor 80), Ryan Nolan, Dean George; Aaron Dobbs (Emmet Nugent 51).

Subs not used: Collie Kenny, Kealan Gaffney, Ross Kenny, Liam McCartan.

Booked: Byrne (17), (McCormack (35), Slater (60).

Referee: David Dunne.

Attendance: 90 (estimate)

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Emmet Nugent (Wexford).