League Report: Cork City 3 - 0 Waterford

Sat, Jun 02 2018

Kieran Sadlier scored his ninth goal of the season late on to put the seal on an impressive win. Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)

Philip Morrissey reports from Turner's Cross

A strong second-half performance saw Cork City stretch the gap between themselves and Waterford as they kept up their hunt of Dundalk in the title race with a 3-0 win.

The two-point gap remains but it increasingly looks like a two-horse race yet again for the main prize.

Garry Buckley's goal deep in injury time was all that separated the sides at the break, and Graham Cummins and Kieran Sadlier struck late to send the visitors home empty-handed.

The home team welcomed back Alan Bennett in defence and Buckley was able to shake off a knock, while Stanley Aborah and Paul Keegan missed out for Waterford.

A poor recent spell for Waterford had been brought to a close in convincing fashion with their hammering of Derry City at the RSC last week.

They started on the front foot. Fed by the powerful Bastien Hery, Ismahil Akinade found himself one-on-one with Mark McNulty, who came out and blocked the effort.

His strike partner Courtney Duffus had a chance of his own before Gavin Holohan blazed over after Faysel Kasmi had done well to pick him out.

At the other end, Lawrence Vigouroux tipped over a speculative effort from Sadlier, the winger full of confidence after his incredible strike against St Patrick's Athletic last week.

Hery, Kasmi and Holohan were all pressing back the city midfield and making it difficult to maintain any sort of possession.

David Webster headed wide from a corner when he was unmarked, and the home crowd made their frustrations known.

They were almost on their feet as McNamee unleashed a shot which clattered the bar, before it was scrambled away, and City had a penalty shout after Cummins' shot was palmed away.

Sadlier was poised to score only for the keeper to clear out the ball and the City striker in the process, but it was unclear as to whether it was man before ball.

Just when it looked as if Waterford would be level at half time, City struck for the opener after Buckley was fouled on the half-way line by Webster, who was cautioned.

It resulted in some angry exchanges but thankfully none of the scenes from the last feisty encounter.

McNamee floated in the set piece and Buckley was able to sweep the ball home via a deflection.

Waterford began the second half as they had the first, seizing control of the ball. Holohan wasted another opportunity, whilst Duffus continued to cause problems.

Kieran Sadlier forced Vigouroux into a smart save from a dipping free-kick at the other end as City began to come more into the game and the away chances lessened.

City scored a second as Sadlier's expert first-time cross found the head of Cummins to relieve the tension of the majority of the 4,834 in the ground.

Suddenly, a demoralised Waterford started to leave more space to the more dangerous city players.

A third was not long in coming as Sadlier lashed the ball home after a set-piece was only cleared as far as the winger.

Sheppard almost put the seal on it after great work from fellow substitute, Steven Beattie. His angled drive beat Vigouroux but smacked the post.

Almost straight away, Sadlier could have scored his second only for Vigouroux, playing his last game before his loan spell finishes, to thwart him in a one-on-one.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Colm Horgan, Alan Bennett, Sean McLoughlin, Shane Griffin; Conor McCormack (Steven Beattie 78), Jimmy Keohane; Barry McNamee (Karl Sheppard 65), Garry Buckley, Kieran Sadlier; Graham Cummins (Josh O’Hanlon 82).

Subs not used: Peter Cherrie, Danny Kane, Aaron Barry, Conor McCarthy.

Booked: None.

Waterford: Lawrence Vigouroux; Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, David Webster, Dylan Barrett; Bastien Hery, Gavan Holohan, Faysel Kasmi (Dean Walsh 78), John Martin; Courtney Duffus, Ismahil Akinade.

Subs not used: Derek Daly, Dean O’ Halloran, Colm Whelan, Daryl Walsh, Justin Croke, Niall Corbet

Booked: Dave Webster (45).

Referee: Robert Harvey

Attendance: 4,834 (official).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Colm Horgan (Cork City).