League Report: Cork City 2 - 0 Waterford

Fri, Feb 23 2018

Gearoid Morrissey opened the scoring for City. Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)

Cork City are top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division after the second round of games, making it two wins from two defeating Waterford 2-1 in Turners Cross in front of more than 6,000 fans.


The first half had little of note, but two goals in eight minutes from Gearóid Morrissey and Garry Buckley ensured that City would finish with the three points.


Cork City made two changes to the side that defeated St Patrick’s Athletic last Friday night with Buckley and Morrissey replacing Jimmy Keohane and the suspended Graham Cummins.


Both of the returning players scored the goals, showing it was well executed tactic on John Caulfield’s part.


Waterford boss Alan Reynolds went with the same side that defeated Derry City on their return to the Premier Division.


Rory Feely had the first attempt of the game but Mark McNulty was equal to the effort.


Karl Sheppard found it hard to get into the game in the opening half, despite having his side's first attempt with a shot from outside the box on three minutes.


Barry McNamee was full of running on the far flank but his shot from distance went over. The home side was left relying on shots from distance as Waterford defended well with Paul Keegan covering a lot of ground in the middle of the pitch.


Conor McCormack had his shot from distance saved on 16 minutes, while Waterford had a few attacking spells but struggled to get the ball into a shooting opportunity.


The recently departed Liam Miller adorned the front cover of the match programme, while he was also honoured with a minute’s applause before the game and on 22 minutes.


Ismahil Akinade was keeping the City defence busy but didn’t get many opportunities to threaten McNulty with Aaron Barry in particular cutting out a dangerous Feely cross on 27 minutes for a corner.


Bastien Hery shot wide from distance after Dean O’Halloran had seen his shot blocked by Steven Beattie. It would be one of an impressive number of blocks by the right back during the first half.


On the verge of half time, McNamee went close with a free kick that Hery headed out for a corner.


The second half began with a few meaty tackles from both sides as they tried to impose themselves on the game.


Sixminutes in, Shane Griffin worked his way down the left flank before seeing his shot-cum-cross tipped onto the bar by Corbett before being cleared to safety.


Four minutes later, Gearóid Morrissey opened the scoring, finishing from 18 yards after McNamee’s initial effort had been half blocked.


Cork City had the lead extended further eight minutes through Buckley. Kieran Sadlier cut in from outside the box and crossed to the midfielder, who tapped in at the front post.

Both sides had half chances but nothing that really looked like changing the score line as City now prepare for the trip to Sligo Rovers on Monday, while Waterford will play St Patrick’s Athletic at home.


Cork City: Mark McNulty; Steven Beattie, Aaron Barry, Alan Bennett, Shane Griffin; Conor McCormack, Gearóid Morrissey; Barry McNamee (Colm Horgan 90+1), Gary Buckley (Jimmy Keohane 85), Kieran Sadlier (Michael Howard 88); Karl Sheppard.

Subs not used: Peter Cherrie (gk), Danny Kane, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, Sean McLoughlin.

Booked: Bennett (61).


Waterford: Niall Corbett; Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, David Webster, Gary Comerford; Paul Keegan (Sander Puri 83), Bastien Hery, Stanley Aborah (Derek Daly 69); Gavan Hoolahan; Dean O’Halloran (Dylan Barnett 69), Ismahil Akinade.

Subs not used: Lawrence Vigouroux (gk), John Martin, Faysel Kasmi, Dean Walsh.

Booked: Aborah (25), Keegan (41), Feely (81)


Referee: Ben Connolly.

Attendance: 6,443 (official).

Extratime.ie Player of the match: Gearoid Morrissey (Cork City).