Castlebar’s first soccer team was established in 1924. It was a haphazard start and games would have been few and far between. It took until 1928 before any organisation was brought into the team with the arrival of players such as Tommy McDonald, Tommy Leonard and Tommy Kilfeather. Games were played in the Fairgreen, while they would be later played at Niland’s Field, situated behind the local Bacon Factory.
It took until 1947 for Celtic to win their first major trophy, the Connaught Cup, when they defeated Galway Rovers at Maryland Park, their home since the early forties.
The first match played in Celtic Park was on the 4th May, 1958. This was a challenge game between Castlebar Celtic and Castlebar A. The first competitive game in the ground was between Castlebar Celtic and Westport United the following Sunday in the Mayo Area Final of the Connaught Cup. Celtic won the game 1-nil, with Frank Roache scoring the winning goal.
If you spot incorrect info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Six Results
Castlebar Celtic W scores first