WNL Cup Final Report: Raheny United 3 - 2 Peamount United (AET)

Sun, Apr 26 2015

Raheny claimed a memorable cup victory on Sunday afternoon. Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick

A goal in the 121st minute from Katie McCabe was enough to ensure that Raheny United collected their first Women’s National League Cup trophy in Tolka Park.


Raheny started the game the better of the two sides, creating early chances, first McCabe firing over a free kick from the left edge of the box before Keeva Keenan let fly from 25 yards, her looping shot also sailed over Brooke Dunne in the Peamount goal before cannoning off the woodwork and coming back into play.


At the other end of the park Pea’s Captain Clare Kinsella forced Raheny keeper Niamh Reid Bourke into action after racing down the right side, before firing a shot towards the near post.


The opening goal of the game arrived minutes later after Laura Traynor was adjudged to have fouled McCabe inside the penalty area, the confident forward held her composure to send Dunne the wrong way.


The game’s opening goal sparked an instant response from Robbie Mulligan’s side with several efforts inside the Raheny box before the ball eventually fell to Eleanor Ryan Doyle, whose shot cannoned off the post before finding the back of the net to give Peamount the equaliser.


With that goal the momentum began to change and Peamount created several opportunities, first a Rachel Doyle free kick was saved by Reid Bourke in the Pandas goal, a last ditch tackle from Niamh Walsh stopped Kinsella from letting fly from six yards out.


Moments later a long ball was played up to Clare Shine and she laid a pass off to Shauna Newman whose shot from 25 yards was gathered by Dunne at the second attempt before Rachel Doyle and Ryan Doyle both saw their respective attempts sail wide.


Reid Bourke was again called into action after a ball over the top from Gee found Kinsella but the Pandas keeper was quick off her line to gather, minutes later Sharon Cullen had an a chance to send Peamount into the lead after keenan slipped allowing her one v one with Reid Bourke but a heavy touch forced the ball out for a goal kick.


As the half time whistle approached Dunne was forced into making a brilliant save the ball fell to McCabe who shot from on the edge of the box.


Minutes into the second half Kinsella was presented with a chance but she could not get her shot away after some excellent ball control.


Both side continued to try use the long ball in an attempt to create an opportunity and Shine thought she had beat the offside trap after a long ball from Lauren Dwyer but the officials disagreed.


After great build up play down the left side from Siobhan Killeen, she opted to lay the ball off to McCabe who was in turn hauled to the ground. From the resulting free kick second half sub Sinead Taylor rose above Pandas defender Pear Slattery to ensure her effort went out for a corner.


Both sides continued to trade chances, Newman’s free kick was easily saved by Dunne before Taylor failed to connect with a long ball from Linda Douglas.


The games third goal arrived after Gargan dispossessed McCabe inside her own half, before the ball was played into substitute Taylor who rounded Reid Bourke to give Peamount the lead inside the final ten minutes.


With six minutes left on the clock Raheny were forced to replace their skipper Rebecca Creagh and her replacement Megan Lynch had an instant impact, as she saw an attempt from close range deflected over the bar.


Deep into injury time Taylor had a chance to seal the victory for Peamount after good work from Sharon Cullen but she could only fire wide.


In the 5th minute of injury time at the end of the 90 Raheny were awarded a free kick just inside the Peamount half. Newman launched the ball into the box and leading to some confusion before the ball fell to Finn who fired home from two yards out.


After the late equaliser the Pandas started extra time the strongest with crosses from Rowe and Shine but both sides struggled to test either keeper in the first period of extra time, a Gee free kick that sailed wide was the Pea’s best effort of the half.


The game appeared to be destined to go to the lottery that is the penalty shootout but in the 121st minute McCabe found herself one on one with Dunne and calmly slotted the ball low into the corner of the net to give the Pandas the victory and their first Women's National League Cup.


After the game Extratime.ie spoke to the match winner Katie McCabe about scoring that game winning goal.


“I’m Ecstatic, the team worked really hard and I wouldn’t have done it by myself. The team showed great character and we pulled together from 2-1 down to 2-2. We kept pushing in extra time and luckily it came out for us”



Peamount United: Brooke Dunne, Jessica Gargan, Laura Traynor (Emma Byrne 81), Anna McCormack. Rachel Doyle,Hayley Nolan, Sylvia Gee, Eleanor Ryan Doyle, Linda Douglas (Michelle Dunne 105), Clare Kinsella (c) ,Sharon Cullen (Sinead Taylor 57).


Subs Not Used: Emma Donohoe, Lauren Kealy, Kim Turner, Lucy McCarton


Yellow Cards: Laura Traynor (37), Jessica Gargan (71).



Raheny United: Niamh Reid Bourke, Keeva Keenan, Pearl Slattery, Niamh Walsh, Shauna Newman, Siobhan Killeen, Rebecca Creagh (c)  (Megan Lynch 83), Lauren Dwyer (Sarah Rowe 69), Jamie Finn, Katie McCabe, Clare Shine (Avril Brierley 118).


Subs Not Used: Sinead O’Farrelly, Laura Ryan, Niamh Barnes, Amanda McQuillan


Yellow Cards: Finn (51)



Referee: Paula Brady


Attendance: 475 (Estimate)


Extratime Player of the Match: Katie McCabe (Raheny United)