FAI Cup R1
Date: 4 p.m. Aug. 12, 2017
Venue: Old Church Park
Ref: Daniel Deady

Conor Meade 31' -
Scored: 31'

James Stoat 32' -
Scored: 32'

David Stack 45' -
Peno Scored: 45'

FAI Cup Report: Cobh Wanderers 3 - 0 Killarney Celtic

Mon, Aug 14 2017

Cobh will be hoping for another appearance in the Aviva Stadium just like they got in their Intermediate Cup campaign this past year. Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick

Diarmuid Kearney reporting from Cobh.


Cobh Wanderers cruised into the second round of the FAI Cup after a comprehensive 3-0 win over Killarney Celtic at Old Church Park on Saturday.


All of Cobh’s goals came in the first half as they looked comfortable, with Conor Meade, James Stroat and David Stack all netting for the home side. The Munster Senior League side showed their class as an off season Killarney side were gracious in defeat.


Cobh were on top early almost scoring within just three minutes of the start, but Killarney Celtic Keeper Roy Kelleher managed to gather calmly to deny James Stroat an audacious lob attempt.


Celtic almost had their chance to take the lead midway through the half, a defensive error lead to Pa McGrath attempting an over head kick which was cleared off the line by Eoin Hastings.


Cobh took the lead on the half hour mark as David Stacks freekick on the right hand side met the head of Conor Meade as he ran through and glanced a header into the bottom left corner.


One goal turned to two shortly afterwards as the home side doubled their lead, Meade played a lovely ball through for James Stroat to bare down on goal and the Cobh man shot a powerful half volley past Kelleher from the edge of the box.


Cobh had their place in the second round all but secured deep into first half stoppage time as they got their third of the afternoon after Dave Curran was brought down in the area David Stack stepped up and dispatched the spot kick into the bottom corner.


The life of the game died down in the second half with Cobh three goals in front, Michael Deasy’s side looked to see out the game as Killarney tried for a comeback.


In what was a rather eventful half of football the best chance fell to Killarney to get a consolation goal but Wayne Sparling hit a header just wide of the goal as Cobh ran out 3-0 winners and thus progress into the next round.



Cobh Wanderers: Michael Devine; Eoin Hastings, Brian Fitzgerald, Brendan Frahill, John Meade; James Stroat(Shane Geasley 71), Michael O’Shea, Dave Curran, David Stack; Stephen Griffin (James Abbott 76), Conor Meade (Alan O’Flynn 64)


Killarney Celtic: Roy Kelleher; Chris O’Leary, Jamie Spillane, Gary Keane, Brendan Falvey; Conor McCarthy (Lee Dowling 47), Matt Keane; Stephen Hayes (Stephen McCarthy 80), Pa McGrath, Wayne Sparling, Cathal O’Shea.


Referee: Daniel Deady

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Conor Meade

Cobh Wanderers
Michael Devine
David Curran
Brian Fitzgerald
Eoin Hastings
John Meade
David Stack
45Peno: 45'
Stephen Griffin
Michael O'Shea
James Stoat
32Scored: 32'
Conor Meade
31Scored: 31'

Shane Geasley
Shane Hallahan
Owen Kinsella
Alan O'Flynn
Killarney Celtic


Photo Gallery for Cobh Wanderers -v- Killarney Celtic