FAI Cup R1
Date: 2 p.m. March 20, 2011
Venue: Morton Stadium

Conor Mullins 58' -
Scored: 58'

Scored: 48'
- Adam Foley 48'

Drumcondra FC 1 - 1 Glebe North

Sun, Mar 20 2011
Drumcondra and Glebe North will have to meet again after the sides played out a tight 1-1 draw in the FAI Ford Cup First round. A second half goal from Glebe’s Adam Foley looked to set the Balbriggan side on their way however Drums’ levelled matters when Conor Mullins’ low drive went in off the post on 58 minutes.

After a tight opening to the game, Glebe began to assert themselves more and more and carried much more of an attacking threat with wide men Keith Dunne and goal scorer Adam Foley looking particularly menacing early on.

However the first real chance of the game fell to Drumcondra when Conor Mullins was brought down on the edge of the Glebe box. Centre forward Stephen Haddock could only manage to hit the wall from the subsequent free kick but Dave Ridgeway’s follow up effort required a save from goalkeeper Jason Lowney.

But for the most part, Drums’ attacks were limited to counter attacks as Glebe enjoyed the lion’s share of possession in the opening half. On 18 minutes Glebe’s strike force of Steven Nolan and Stephen Place linked up nicely on the edge of the Drums’ box before the latter unleashed a powerful drive at goal. But goalkeeper Gavin Blunnie eventually gathered.

The Balbriggan side were keen to get winger Foley involved as much as possible with his quick feet and tight dribbling. He also proved very adept at set pieces and his corner after 26 minutes should have resulted in the game’s first goal. His pinpoint delivery was met by the head of Neil Beasley but the centre back failed to find the target.

Glebe North continued to pressurise the Drumcondra goal and nearly forced an own goal when Jason Lowney’s long goal kick was inadvertedly turned goal wards by Drums’ full back Ronnie Walsh. But the defender managed to hook the ball clear in the nick of time.

The best move of the first half came on 32 minutes when Lowney’s long ball was headed into the path of the onrushing Foley who was now trying his luck on the left side of midfield. The winger bore down on goal but his angled shot was saved comfortably by the busy Gavin Blunnie.

Glebe resumed their attacking threat immediately in the second half with the opening goal coming just three minutes after the restart. Noel Barrett picked out Stephen Place who in turn flicked the ball expertly into the path of Foley. The winger charged into the box before exquisitely chipping the ball over Blunnie to hand Glebe a deserved lead.

Drumcondra knew they had to do something to find a way back into the game. On 57 minutes midfield general Robbie Kelly and Stephen Haddock made way for Brian Davitt and Jan Kotzel.

The change had an immediate impact with Davitt winning a free inside the Glebe North half. Drumcondra went long with the free and the ball bounced around the Glebe box before eventually falling to Conor Mullins who controlled and unleashed a cracking volley into the bottom left corner of Lowney’s goal.

As the game wore on, both sides pressed for a winner. Glebe had two clear chances to make it 2-1 but both Barrett and Nolan spurned great opportunities late on.

With eight minutes to go, a rare foray by Drums resulted in Conor Mullins being bundled over in the glebe box. But referee Anthony Redmond waved away the protests. Nolan had a late chance to win it for Glebe, but once again his header failed to trouble Blunnie as the game finished all square. The sides will have to meet again.

Drumcondra: Gavin Blunnie; Ronnie Walsh, Mick Hill, Ronan Noorwood John Clancy; Mark Healy, Conor Mullins, Robbie Kelly (Brian Davitt, 57), Dave Ridgeway; Stephen Haddock (Jan Kotzel, 57), Adam Firych
Subs not used: Ciaran McDonagh, Brian O’ Farrell, Gary Howlett

Glebe North: Jason Lowney; Alan McCabe (Alan McGarry, 65), Darren McCann, Pat Campbell, Neil Beasley; Noel Barrett, Adam Foley, Austin McCann, Keith Dunne; Steven Nolan, Stephen Place (Mark Gibson, 81)
Subs not used: Johnny Guerin, Chris Pollis, Tomas Murphy

extratime.ie Man of the Match: Adam Foley. The winger proved a constant threat throughout the 90 minutes and took his goal with consummate ease.
Referee: Anthony Redmond


Glebe North


Photo Gallery for Drumcondra -v- Glebe North