Competition: League of Ireland First Division   Venue: Fahy's Field    Attendance: Unknown   Referee: Unknown
Mervue United
Mervue United

Kevin Crehan - Goal (5')

Nicky Curran - Yellow Card (43')

Dan Cunningham - Yellow Card (48')

Simon Walsh - Red Card (55')

Kevin Crehan - Goal (60')

Eric Browne - Yellow Card (86')

Sat 04 Sep 2010

2 - 5

(Full Time)
Wexford Youths
Wexford Youths

Shane Dempsey - Goal (22')

Danny Furlong - Goal (36')

Ben Ryan - Goal (39')

Garry Sheahan - Goal (42')

Garry Sheahan - Goal (70')

Danny Furlong - Yellow Card (72')

Starting Lineup
(G) Ger Hanley
(D) Darren Young
(D) Nicky Curran
(D) James Casserly
(D) Eric Browne
(M) Simon Walsh
(M) Marc Ludden
(M) Ollie Keogh
(M) Kevin Crehan
(F) Dave Goldbey
(F) Rory Gaffney
Noel Varley
Bryan Mannion
Alex Lee
Dan Cunningham
Martin Conneely

Mervue United 2 - 5 Wexford Youths
Published: September 04, 2010

Three goals in a six minute period just before half time effectively settled this game as Wexford Youths came from behind to record their first win in five games as Mervue United slumped to their eight straight defeat in the First Division at Terryland Park on Saturday evening.

Mervue had got off to the perfect start when Kevin Crehan bundled home a Mark Ludden left wing cross at the back post after Packie Holden had saved his initial effort.

It all went wrong for the home side after that though as the visitors drew level on 22 minutes. A Shane Dempsey 25 yard free-kick flew straight into the bottom corner as a badly placed Ger Hanley could only watch as he was beaten at his near post.

Wexford then added three goals in a six minute period as the home side fell apart defensively. They took the lead on 36 minutes following a great run down the right wing by Gary Sheahan and he set up Danny Furlong with a simple tap in for 2-1.

They doubled that lead three minutes later when Ben Ryan made it 3-1 with a shot from the edge of the box. A fourth soon followed as Furlong returned the favour to Sheahan setting him up for goal number four.

The home sides task was made even harder ten minutes after the break as Simon Walsh saw red after a bad challenge. They did however reduce the deficit back to two when Kevin Crehan stroked home following good work by Mark Ludden and Dan Cunningham set him up for his second goal of the night.

The best goal of the night ensured there was to be no comeback though as Gary Sheahan beat three defenders in a run from the halfway line before slotting the ball past a bemused Ger Hanley for his second of the night.

Mervue United: Ger Hanley; Nicky Curran, Darren Young (Dan Cunningham ’46), James Casserely, Eric Browne, Ollie Keogh (Noel Varley ‘46), Kevin Crehan, Simon Walsh, David Goldbey, Rory Gaffney and Mark Ludden (Bryan Mannion ’77).
Subs not used: Martin Conneely and Alex Lee.
Booked: Dan Cunningham (’48), Eric Browne (’86)
Sent-Off: Simon Walsh (’55)

Wexford Youths: Packie Holden (Pa Doyle ’85), Gareth McCurtin, Dean Broaders (Kevin Rowe’82), Anto Russell, Anthony Wolfe, Shane Dempsey, Ben Ryan (Ciaran Hennelly ’75) Greg Yelverton, Danny Furlong, Gary Sheahan and Martin Kehoe.
Subs not used: Muzzi Mullen and Shane Nolan.
Booked: Danny Furlong (’72)

Referee: John McLoughlin Man of the Match: Gary Sheahan – Scored twice and looked dangerous throughout.
Terry Flaherty

Terry has been writing for Extratime since 2009 and is based out west in Galway covering Mervue United, Salthill Devon, and now this season the newly formed, Galway FC. Terry has written articles for many publications and websites and is a die-hard Leeds Utd fan for his troubles.

Starting Lineup
(G) Packie Holden
(D) Anthony Wolfe
(D) Anto Russell
(D) Gareth McCurtin
(D) Dean Broaders
(M) Greg Yelverton
(M) Ben Ryan
(M) Martin Kehoe
(M) Shane Dempsey
(F) Garry Sheahan
(F) Danny Furlong
Kevin Rowe
Shane Nolan
Michael Mullen
Pa Doyle