St. Patrick's Athletic
St. Patrick's Athletic

Vinny Faherty - Goal (45')

Ryan Guy - Goal (87')

Ryan Guy - Goal (89')
Fri 19 Mar 2010

3 - 0
(Full Time)

At a Glance

St Patrick’s Athletic maintained their unbeaten record to stay top of the Airtricity League with a 3-0 win against UCD at Richmond Park.

St. Patrick's Athletic 3-0 UCD

Sat, Mar 20 2010
St Patrick’s Athletic maintained their unbeaten record to stay top of the Airtricity League Premier Division with a 3-0 win against UCD at Richmond Park.

The early part of this match was played in the middle of the pitch with both sides giving the ball away cheaply. The Saints had the first chance of the game in the seventh minute when David McAllister nearly latched onto a through ball only for UCD goalkeeper, Billy Brennan, getting their first and heading the ball to safety.

UCD looked like they were still recovering from their mid-week loss and struggled to get into the game with St Pats dominating the possession and keeping the visitors pinned in their own half for much of the first period. The Students sat back and frustrated the home side and were content with playing counter-attacking football.

The home side should have had a penalty in the 15th minute when Saints player Stuart Byrne’s shot hit a UCD hand but the appeals were waved away by referee Alan Kelly.

Alex Williams caused the visitors plenty of problems and nearly gave his side the lead in the 23rd minute but was denied by a smart save from the on-form Brennan.

The home side dominated and Brennan came to the rescue again for UCD when he reacted quickly to clear away a brilliantly weighted pass from Vinny Faherty that nearly found Ryan Guy.

St Patricks Athletic finally got what they deserved when a mistake from UCD defender Evan McMillan gifted Faherty with a chance that he took without hesitation as he beat Brennan with a fine chipped finish.

The second half continued with much of the same although UCD nearly equalised in the 60th minute when Ciaran Nangle’s cross-shot deceived Saints goalkeeper Gary Rogers and hit the top of the bar. Substitute Keith Ward dribbled his way into the box but didn’t trouble Rogers with a tame shot.

That was the closet the Students came to scoring as the game became scrappy with half chances falling to St Pats substitute Gareth Coughlan, who blazed a shot over the bar after good work by Ryan Guy had set him up. Faherty came close in the 85th minute when a cross came in from Coughlan but the striker could only direct his header wide of the post.

It was the American who finally finished off the game when he found acres of space in the six yard box only to smash the ball home. Two minutes later he scored his second of the game when Coughlan found Guy at the edge of the box and the Saints striker found the back of the net to ensure St Patrick’s Athletic stayed top of the league.

St Patricks Athletic: Gary Rogers; Damian Lynch, Ian Bermingham, Conor Kenna, Shane Guthrie; David McAllister (Gareth Coughlan 64), Stuart Byrne (Conor Sinnott 67), Dave Mulcahy, Ryan Guy; Alex Williams (Paul Byrne 75), Vinny Faherty
Subs Not Used; Derek Pender, Dan Connor

UCD: Billy Brennan; Brian Shorthall, Ciaran Nangle, Andrew Boyle, Evan McMillan; Danny Fallon, Peter McMahon, Stephen Roache (Keith Ward 58), David McMillan (Chris Mulhall 58); Ciaran Kilduff, Shane Fitzgerald (Graham Ruske 64)
Subs Not Used:Mick Leahy ,Mark McGinlay

Extratime Man of the Match: Vinny Faherty