EA Cup R2
Date: 7:45 p.m. May 4, 2009
Venue: Dalymount Park
Att: Unknown

Marc Hughes 12' -
Scored: 12'

Jason McGuinness 45' -
Scored: 45'

Graham Carey 82' -
Scored: 82'

Graham Carey 112' -
Scored: 112'

Scored: 3'
- Mark O'Brien 3'

Scored: 65'
- Paddy Madden 65'

Peno Scored: 75'
- David McAllister 75'

Bohemians 4 - 3 Shelbourne (After Extra time)

Mon, May 04 2009
Graham Carey was the hero for Bohs tonight as they came from behind to beat bitter rivals Shelbourne in a seven goal thriller at Dalymount Park. Mark Hughes put Bohs ahead before Mark O’Brien equalised for the visitors. Jason McGuiness’ 45th minute goal was then cancelled out by Shelbourne’s on-loan Gypsy, Paddy Madden. David McAllister looked to have won the tie for an impressive travelling Shels side, however, Graham Carey’s first strike of the night, with five minutes to go, forced extra time. Carey’s second goal, also from a free kick, in the 111th minute, came to the delight of the crowd who witnessed a cracking game in the freezing cold.

Shels started far brighter than their Premier Division hosts, with Paddy Madden, on-loan from Bohs, causing problems in the Gypsies defence from the outset.

As early as the second minute David Cassidy played in Madden behind the defence to run at goal. A combination of Matt Gregg and Mark Rossiter was enough to block his effort. From the resulting corner, Mark O’Brien found space on the edge of the box to take a touch and then curl a fine strike into the top corner. Bohs gradually began to enjoy a bit more possession however Shels were really up for it and were first to most 50/50 balls.

The equaliser came ten minutes later after Mark Hughes pounced on a loose ball in the box. Kevin Doherty had hauled down Hughes in the build up, earning Bohs a free kick in a dangerous position. Graham Carey stepped up to take and Vinny Whelan could only palm the strike to Hughes in front of goal to tap in.

Whelan did his confidence a lot of good a few minutes later though, when Carey released Lee Dixon in on goal. Whelan saw the danger and came out nice and quick grab the ball just before Dixon could connect.

At the other end Shels continued to press. David Cassidy’s excellent ball cut out the Bohs backline however lunging Madden was fractions away when any connection would surely have been enough to score.

Bohs second came just on half time. A Carey corner was met by Jason McGuinness whose free header, just two yards out, found the net.

Graham Carey was enjoying plenty of space on the left for Bohs, acting as their primary threat for the whole of the second half. However it was the visitors who struck first, with Paddy Madden scoring against his parent club. Much like Bohs' second, Cassidy whipped in a corner to the back post where Madden was free, just two yards out. His finish was impressive though, as it was from a very tight angle and through a host of bodies.

Bohs almost responded immediately when Neale Fenn found Graham Carey in acres of space on the left however, not for the first time, a Shels man got to him just in time, on this occasion David McGill.

Shels almost made it three after seventy minutes. Peter Hynes, now causing a lot of problems following his introduction before the break, got in behind the Bohs backline and rolled a ball across the goal line for the on-rushing Madden however, again, he just couldn’t reach it.

Shels’ third did come soon after however. Derek Doyle was fouled by Matt Gregg when in on goal, earning his side a very simple penalty, which David McAllister was on hand to slot home.

Dermot Keely's men began to sit back afterwards, with their tired legs being punished by Graham Carey and Sean Byrne down the left. Carey was fouled five times in the last ten minutes in dangerous positions as Shels desperately tried to hold off his attacking threat.

The equaliser was a direct result of Carey’s pace and Shels aggressive handling of the starlet. McMillan hauled the Bohs winger down just outside the area and he himself stepped up to rifle a cracking free in to force extra time.

Shels had the better of the first half of extra time. Peter Hynes turned and shot from twenty five yards, however his dipping shot was tipped just over.

Then came a moment of football madness. Peter Hynes chased down a nothing ball on Gregg, who came out early to pass however Bohs just passed it back to Paddy Madden. In front of an empty net, however, after one touch to control it, he managed to shoot at the foot of the post; amazing

The second half saw Bohs have the better chances. First, Neale Fenn tricked in behind the defence with the ball falling to Mark Hughes from six yards but Vinny Whelan got down well and spread himself excellently to make the save.

A minute later and Bohs scored the winner. Graham Carey’s free kick from thirty five yards, wide right of the goal, evaded everyone in the box and bent in the far post.

Full time: Bohemian FC 4-3 Shelbourne FC

Extratime.ie man of the match: Graham Carey

Bohemians: Gregg, Byrne, Rossiter (Marshall 76), Cronin (Nolan 105), McGuinness, Oman, Carey, McEvoy, Hughes, Fenn, Dixon (Hanney 104) Subs not used: Moran, Hunt

Shelbourne: Whelan, McGill, Quigley, Hedderman, Doherty (McMillan 59) O’Brien, McAllister, Cassidy (Murray 114), Madden, Flood (Hynes 42), Doyle Subs not used: Baker, Delaney

Matt Gregg
Ken Oman
Jason McGuinness
45Scored: 45'
Sean Byrne
Mark Rossiter
Ryan McEvoy
Lee Dixon
Glenn Cronin
Graham Carey
61Booked: 61'
82Scored: 82'
112Scored: 112'
Marc Hughes
12Scored: 12'
Neale Fenn

Mark Nolan
Denis Moran
Dean Marshall
Paul Hunt
John Hanney
Vinny Whelan
Stephen Quigley
Robbie Hedderman
Kevin Doherty
11Booked: 11'
Mark O'Brien
3Scored: 3'
106Booked: 106'
David McGill
David McAllister
75Peno: 75'
Derek Doyle
David Cassidy
32Booked: 32'
Paddy Madden
65Scored: 65'
Anthony Flood

Keith Murray
Jordan McMillan
Peter Hynes
Dean Delany
Richie Baker

Photo Gallery for Bohemians -v- Shelbourne