Euro U17 Report: Netherlands 1 - 1 Republic of Ireland (Netherlands win 5-4 on penalties)

Tue, May 15 2018

Martin O'Neill was one of those outraged at full time and insisted on confronting the referee. Credit: Brian F Smyth

The Republic of Ireland under 17’s bowed out of the European Championships last night in controversial fashion as Irish goalkeeper Jimmy Corcoran was sent off during their 5-4 penalty shootout defeat.

Following a tense 1-1 draw at the end of the regulation the time, the game was dwarfed in controversy with senior Republic of Ireland senior manager Martin O’Neill entering the field of play to let referee Zbynek Proske know exactly what he thought of the decision to send Corcoran off having adjudged to have left his line too early during the final spot kick.

In a controlled opening the Dutch dominated the possession with the Boys in Green forced to chase shadows. Efforts from Elayis Tavsan and Crysencio Summerville inside the opening ten minutes tested the Irish defensive line, but a crowded box and disciplined defending thwarted any real danger for Colin O’Brien’s side. Ireland grew into the game driven on by Troy Parrot in the heart of midield, but despite forceful runs, clear cut chances were hard to come by for the Irish.

With the first half running on, pressures mounted as Adam Idah challenged Jurriën Maduro to reward the Dutch with a free kick. Up stepped Bram Franken, but the AZ forward saw his shot blocked by a concreted Irish wall. In the end, the age old battle of attack versus defence settled for 0-0 as both sides headed for the half time break.

Ireland emerged from the break showing no signs of tiredness and were almost rewarded when Nathan Collins swung a ball deep into the area for Ireland’s second corner of the game. However, a rising Tyriek Wright’s could not bring the ball down and the chance got away.

All it took was a moment for the game to spark, as a Mohammed Ihattaren corner excellently found Liam Van Gelderen in the area who pounced above the Irish defence, to head pass Corcoran in goal to make it 1-0.

Ireland responded immediately when Harry Coffey teed up Troy Parrot who fired low into the left hand side, passed keeper Joey Kooevar to level the scoreline.

The Netherlands, stunned by the immediate response fired in succession towards the Irish net – with half chances from Wouter Burger and Brian Brobbey.

Late attacks from the Dutch proved fruitless and the game finished 1-1 at the end of the 80 minutes with penalties beckoning for both sides.

Ireland got the opportunity to strike first but Adam Idah’s low effort was gathered by Koorevar on the line. Wouter Burger quickly made it 1-0 to the Dutch, before Parrott levelled it for the Irish.  Mohammed Ihattaren regained his side’s avantage, with Max Murphy scoring to make it 2-2. Brian Brobbey and Jason Knight made it 3-3 with, Jurriën Maduro and Callum Thompson then making it 4-4.

With the descisive penalty falling to Daishawn Redan; the pressure fell on Corcoran who pulled off an excellent save diving to his right to send the game into sudden death….or so we thought.

In a moment of confusion, referee Zbynek Proske produced a second yellow and red card for Corcoran and deammanded the penalty be retaken. Collins was then forced to go into goal for the decisive penalty as teammates attempted to console Corcoran. Redan stepped up and this time made no mistake and hammered it passed the make shift keeper sending the Dutch through 5-4 and into Thursday’s semi-finals against England.

In what was a tested performance by the Irish, no questions can be left of Colin O’Brien’s side as they walked off in the air of controversy last night. No questions of ‘what ifs’ or ‘could haves’ can be drawn upon, but rather a defiant look in what was a thoroughly bizarre decision.


Republic of Ireland: Jimmy Corcoran; Max Murphy, Oisin McEntee, Jason Collins, Kameron Ledwidge; Barry Coffey, Jason Knight, Troy Parrott; Tyriek Wright (Adam O’Reilly 80), Adam Idah, Callum Thompson.

Subs not used: Sean Bohan, Sean Brennan, Marc Walsh, Ray O’Sullivan, Jordan McEneff, Conor Grant.   

Booked: Troy Parrot, Jimmy Corcoran.

Red Card: Jimmy Corcoran


Netherlands: Joey Koorevaar; Quinten Maduro (Cristopher Mamengi 80), Liam Van Gelderen, Jurriën   Maduro, Ramon Hendriks, Bram Franken, Mohammed Ihattaren, Wouter Burger; Crysencio Summerville, Daishawn Redan,  Elayis Tavsan (Brian Brobbey 51).

Subs not used: Mees Bakker, Nordin Musampa, Nigel Thomas, Ryan Gravenberg, Toshio Lake, Kenzo Goudmijn.


Referee: Zbynek Proske (Czech Republic).