League Report: UCD 1 - 1 Galway United

Sat, Mar 10 2018

Josh Collins scored UCD's equaliser before half time. Credit: Laszlo Geczo

UCD and Galway United failed to make their chances count as they played out a 1-1 draw on a wet Friday night in South Dublin with goals from Danny Furlong and Josh Collins.

The Students began the match with some impressive attacking football, creating several chances in the opening ten minutes which were enough to make Shane Keegan’s men sweat.

UCD began with a blistering attack led by Daire O’Connor who finished off the move with a rasper of a shot requiring Tadhg Ryan to awkwardly slap the ball over the bar with his fist.

Later, Gary O’Neill struck a free-kick deep into Galway’s box onto the head of George Kelly but last year’s First Division top scorer couldn’t keep his effort down and the ball went over the bar.

O’Connor seemed to be brimming with confidence and the midfielder took on another early shot from distance which required Ryan to go full stretch once again and tip the ball out for a corner, lest it nestle in the bottom corner of his net.

Galway hadn’t managed to threaten too much midway through the first half yet they were still managed to score.

Ryan Connolly struck a beautiful long ball out to Stephen Kenny on the right flank. The winger played a dangerous ball into UCD’s box and amidst all the confusion Danny Furlong nudged the ball into Conor Kearns' net – his fourth goal in just two games this season.

The Students got their reward for a fine first half performance with an opportunity from a corner at the half hour mark.

Gary O’Neill booted a ball into the middle of the box and Collins was there to head home in the mob of players to bring his side back level with the Tribesmen.

Galway United almost took the lead again when the ball broke away to Eoin McCormack. The striker was well able to hold off the imposing Maxi Kougoun and turned him inside the box but his shot was excellently saved by Kearns.

The second half started out far more timidly than the first but it was UCD who eventually provided a real threat on goal.

O’Neill dropped a ball onto the boot of Jason McClelland but Ryan was again the saviour for the Tribesmen when he leaped up to fist the ball away from danger.

A quiet second half was finally properly ignited with a couple of late Galway chances. Furlong had a chance to grab the three points for his side but his header was blocked out for a corner.

The corner resulted in a scramble in the box with the ball eventually falling to second half substitute Alan Murphy, who blazed the ball over the bar.


UCD: Conor Kearns; Dan Tobin, Maxim Kouogun, Liam Scales, Josh Collins; Daire O’Connor, Gary O’Neill, Greg Sloggett; Timmy Molloy (Paul Doyle 63), George Kelly (Ben Hanrahan 87), Jason McClelland.

Subs not used: Carl Williams (gk), Darragh Corcoran, Conor Crowley, Kevin Coffey, Yoyo Mahdy.

Booked: None.


Galway United: Tadhg Ryan; Gary Shanahan, Stephen Walsh, Maurice Nugent, Marc Ludden; Ryan Connolly, Stephen Kenny (Alex Byrne, 69), Conor Barry (Alan Murphy, 82), Ronan Manning (Carlton Ubaezuonu, 68); Eoin McCormack, Danny Furlong.

Subs not used: Arek Mamala (gk), Aaron Conway, Gary Kinneen, Conor Layng.

Booked: Gary Shanahan (34), Ryan Connolly (62), Alex Byrne (75).


Referee: John McLoughlin.

Attendance: 296 (official).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Tadhg Ryan (Galway United).