Women's FAI Cup Final Report: UCD Waves 0 - 1 Cork City WFC

Sun, Nov 05 2017

Cork City celebrates Clare Shine's goal in the Women's FAI Cup Final Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick

Clare Shine’s 33rd minute strike was enough to give Cork City WFC their first Continental Tyres FAI Women’s Cup title as they overcame UCD Waves 1-0 at the Aviva Stadium on early Sunday afternoon.


It was City who had the first chance of the game on five minutes as Saoirse Noonan found space in midfield and played a ball out right to Shine. She took a touch and shot towards the far corner, but her effort was saved by Brooke Dunne in the UCD goal.


Waves were awarded a free kick after ten minutes gone following a foul on Orlagh Nolan. Captain Claire Walsh stepped up from the centre of defence to take the set-piece but her effort hit the side netting.


Katie McCarthy looked to have the best chance of the game at her feet mid-way through the half as Danielle Sheehy’s superb cross from the right headed straight into her path until her teammate Shine headed the ball out of play as McCarthy was preparing to strike.


The Noonan-Shine link up came to the fore again on 27 minutes as Noonan lofted a ball over the UCD defence into the path of Shine who didn’t connect cleanly with her shot and fired over.


Cork found the breakthrough soon after though as McCarthy’s pass split the UCD defence, allowing Shine to run in on goal, round Dunne in the UCD goal and slot the ball into the far corner.


UCD had a chance to equalise from a corner five minutes later as Cork failed to clear at the first attempt allowing Claire Walsh time for a header. However Amanda Budden in the City goal was able to save.


Five minutes into the second half and another College corner provided a chance on goal after it was headed clear by Nathalie O'Brien. The ball came to Karen Duggan but she who couldn't turn home her effort, although it wouldn't have counted as the flag was raised for offside.


Budden was required to come out of her goal and under pressure from Chemaou, she sliced her clearance, giving the ball straight to Catherine Cronin but her attempted chip fell just wide of the Cork goal.


Noonan was again the playmaker for Cork as she lofted another ball into the path of Shine but the Cork forward ran herself straight into two UCD defenders and she couldn’t add to her own or her team’s tally.


City created the chances to double their lead. The best opportunity came when Cork were in again as McCarthy played a ball out to Sheehy on the right. She broke into the box but couldn’t clip the ball past the outrushing Brooke Dunne.  


With a minute of normal time left to play, UCD had the chance to take the game to extra time. They were awarded a free in a dangerous position. Chloe Mustaki hit her effort straight at Budden, who managed to keep the effort out despite falling over her line herself, and that was enough to take the trophy to Leeside.


Cork City WFC: Amanda Budden; Kate O’Donovan (Christina Dring 63), Danielle Burke, Ciara McNamara (C), Danielle Sheehy; Natalie O’Brien, Meghan Bourque, Katie McCarthy, Maggie Muncliffe, Saoirse Noonan (Tara O’Gorman 81), Clare Shine.

Subs not used: Eve Badana (GK), Angie Carry, Mary Barrett, Ciara Desmond, Courtney O’Keeffe.

Booked: Maggie Duncliffe (88).


UCD Waves: Brooke Dunne (GK); Karen Duggan, Claire Walsh (C), Rebekah Carroll, Emily Cahill, Chloe Mustaki, Dearbhail Beirne (Lauren Kelly 81’), Orlaigh Nolan, Catherine Cronin, Kerri Letmon (Naima Chemaou 63’), Aisling Dunbar (Sinead Gaynor 89’).

Subs not used: Erica Turner (GK); Chelsee Snell, Orla Horan, Alison O’Keeffe.

Booked: None.


Referee: Paula Brady.

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Katie McCarthy (Cork City WFC).